can i do an ""unkown cache" like this?

RandomH3ro

first things first. i am planning a series of caches (~20) all with the same theme. in a random 6 caches, i will include parts of the coordinates for a final "challenge" cache.

heres what i want to know. for the challenge cache, i would make an "unkown cache" listing. i get this. however, i plan on making 1 more cache not related at all to the theme of the series/challenge. i was planning on using a cryptex and having a riddle to be solved to get to the coordinates. however, i want the cryptex to be placed in the challenge/unknown cache.

its all basic in my head, but i dont know if any of this will get approved. basically, the cryptex cache page would read as "see GCXXXXX to find the cache which contains the puzzle for this cache"

basically, what i want people to do, is to do the entire series to get to and do the final challenge cache. and since they have gone that far, see if they will go 1 extra step to find the "ultimate" cache.

what do you guys think? would you do something like this? i would make the final "ultimate" cache as awesome as possible. plus, a cryptex cache isnt something you see everyday. gimme thoughts.

this is the cache that got my idea rolling. GC2GKDG

So, My Series #1 - 20: twenty traditional caches.

In some unannounced 6 of them, partial coords (or some other info) that leads to My Series Bonus cache. Which is listed as Mystery/Unknown= with bogus coords 2 miles or less from actual cache, and description that coords or data for generating coords can be found in some 6 of the My Series caches.

The design is fine, but using the term challenge muddies the waters. It is not a Challenge cache. Challenge caches have a distinct definition, and this isn't it. This design, in the U.S., is generally referred to as a bonus cache.

In My Series Bonus is a cryptex. It is used to solved for yet another cache, My Cryptex Mystery Cache.

This is design: cache(s) to cache > to another cache is known as Daisy Chaining.

Let me try to talk you out of it.

Your "My Cryptex Mystery" depends upon 7 other caches, one of them already daisy-chained to the 6 that are part of the series.

It's incredibly vulnerable to being unfindable as any cache in the group goes down. It is going to have darn few finds. Like any cache, when it is new, someone will FTF it, and then..........

If I understood correctly, there are:

20 themed caches (14 standard caches, and 6 caches + clue)

1 bonus cache (findable using the six clues), containing a cryptex

1 mystery cache (findable by solving the cryptex)

It should be alright, as long as you follow the placement guidelines (minimum .1 miles/161 meters between caches, etc).

What would I do: duplicate the 6 clues. Place each clue in two different caches, so if a cacher fails to find one cache with a clue, he can still find the bonus after finding the duplicate clue. This means having 12 caches with clues and 8 without.

If the clues are of the type A=... , B=... , F=..., then I wouldn't duplicate them, but I would add two "checking clues" in two other caches, of the type A+B+C=... , D+E+F=... - so if a cacher misses a clue, he will be able to determine it and find the bonus cache.

Both the bonus and the cryptex cache should be of type "unknown".

I would go for a series like this (and especially for the bonus at the end). If I would be able to solve the riddle in the field, I would go for the cryptex cache as well.

The idea sounds good except for having to find the puzzle to get the cyptex. There is a cache series called "Real Men of Genius" hidden by Odyssey Posse in Indiana which has a similar theme and has been well received. If you want to make the cryptex cache one which should be solved 'in the field', then I'd make the it a standalone two stage puzzle separate from the series.

I had a series in one of the local parks where there were 3 Traditional caches (One for the money, Two for the show, Three to get ready) which each had partial coords for a Mystery cache. (Now go cat go!) No problems getting that approved, either. I think you might run into difficulties running them all together like that.

It should be alright, as long as you follow the placement guidelines (minimum .1 miles/161 meters between caches, etc).

What would I do: duplicate the 6 clues. Place each clue in two different caches, so if a cacher fails to find one cache with a clue, he can still find the bonus after finding the duplicate clue. This means having 12 caches with clues and 8 without.

If the clues are of the type A=... , B=... , F=..., then I wouldn't duplicate them, but I would add two "checking clues" in two other caches, of the type A+B+C=... , D+E+F=... - so if a cacher misses a clue, he will be able to determine it and find the bonus cache.

I would go for a series like this (and especially for the bonus at the end). If I would be able to solve the riddle in the field, I would go for the cryptex cache as well.

thats what i was going for. the only thing i have a problem with is if it will be visited enough.

thats what i was going for. the only thing i have a problem with is if it will be visited enough.

Even if you live in a very active area, it won't be visited often. Too many hoops to jump through to get much traffic. Cool idea, but if you're looking for more visits, you'll have to change it up a bit.

I'll echo what everyone else has said about how you'll have few visits to this one, but I'll predict those who do complete your series will have more to say in their logs than "TNLNSL, TFTC!" There's something to be said for that.

If you do continue with this idea, from what I'm reading, your "Bonus" cache will contain the combination for the cryptex and the cryptex, which contains coords to another cache. Might I suggest that you just put coords and the combo in the Bonus and have the cryptex at the coords, cachers would need to open it to sign the log.