Bugs in a bottle

WildcatRegi

I've been thinking about developing a boat travel bug with the intention of releasing it in Pittsburgh - the start of the Ohio River - and see how far down the Ohio it goes.

I believe a lot of boats that would spot this bug would have gps' and would be willing to log a find or to at least email where it was last seen.

The design of the boat would of course be very small, well labeled, and made of soft materials.

Is this type of travel bug appropriate?

The hardest thing to find is something that's not there!

I have to say no because it seems like a it would most likely end up as litter along the river somewhere. And theres already enough of that icon_frown.gif

As geocachers we are trying to be good stewards, and we promote "cache in, trash out!" so then why would we go around causing more litter on purpose?

Besides I have to ask, why are you going to use a TB? It seems to me like a for certain waste of six bucks. Being as it boat will probly go a mile downstream and never be seen again icon_frown.gif

btw- my vote isnt registering.

waypoint_link.gif22008_1700.gif37_gp_logo88x31.jpg

quote:
I have to say no because it seems like a it would most likely end up as litter along the river somewhere. And theres already enough of that

As geocachers we are trying to be good stewards, and we promote "cache in, trash out!" so then why would we go around causing more litter on purpose?

I believe that say's it all...

You know, when I first read the description of the idea, I thought you meant you wanted to have a bug that travelled solely (or mostly) by boat down the Ohio.

Maybe you should consider that. Start the bug in Pittsburgh with the goal of reaching Cairo where the Ohio flows in the Mississippi.. or make the goal to get to the Gulf via the Mississippi.

In any case you could specify that you'd like for it to travel by boat as much as possible and visit caches along the river. I know if it made it to Memphis, I'd be interested in bringing it south on the Mississippi if I could find the time to put my canoe in the water.

Of course, this isn't quite what you're thinking, but I can tell you from experience that not many things make it down the river on its own. A vast mojority of debris in the river just clutters the shores. (Check out this site to see cleanup efforts) The Ohio is a very slow moving river, which would compound this problem.

Jamie