GPS Devices

Hi,

Has anyone out there got any knowledge about the use of the Garmin Asus A10 as a geocaching device?

I've tried to find out as much as I can via Google etc and that hasn't been much

I need to know if I can download PQs and also load on coordinates.

At the moment I am tring to get the information from Garmin but no luck yet.

In anticipation, thanks.

Jim :D

Groundspeak's application should run fine on that Android 2.1 device (works on anything 1.5 and above, although makes more sense if the device has true GPS capability like the A10). The Groundspeak application (not the phone itself) allows for downloading active PQs such that it isn't necessary to have cell coverage to use the device.

I'm thinking that instead of working this from the Garmin angle, you'll find more information about what's possible if you work it from the Groundspeak angle. There are also a number of reviews of their app online that describe the features it supports both "live" and "offline". http://www.geocaching.com/android/default.aspx

Edited by ecanderson

I'm thinking that instead of working this from the Garmin angle, you'll find more information about what's possible if you work it from the Groundspeak angle. There are also a number of reviews of their app online that describe the features it supports both "live" and "offline". http://www.geocaching.com/android/default.aspx

Thanks for the advice. Thats where I will go next.

Jim :D

And unless they've updated them, I thought the Garmin Android phones were all running 1.6.
This ain't your daddy's Nuviphone <g>.

The Garmin-Asus A10 isn't the same phone as the A50 Garmin NuviPhone which I believe is still parked at 1.6. The A10 (just released last month) does start life with 2.1. That said, I think they're only available in Europe and Asia so far. Haven't heard a plan for North America.

FYI Garmin & Asus companies are splitting up.. be cautious if you're thinking of buying any NuviPhone now... :sad:

Announcement:

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSLDE69O17U20101025

Given that the A10 is clearly an Asus hardware product with a Garmin name, and given that the primary caching applications have zero to do with Garmin on this device, and given that Asus is clearly staying in the game of mobile devices ... where's the concern?

And unless they've updated them, I thought the Garmin Android phones were all running 1.6.

The Garmin Asus A10 is described as running on 1.6. That's the one available in New Zealand through Telecom.

Jim B)

?? Might want to check with NZT to have them verify that. While the pre-release stories on the product (and the early Garmin specification) talked about 1.6, all of the recent (post-release) reviews of the product all refer to it as a 2.1 device.

?? Might want to check with NZT to have them verify that. While the pre-release stories on the product (and the early Garmin specification) talked about 1.6, all of the recent (post-release) reviews of the product all refer to it as a 2.1 device.

I am going to be able to have a "hands on" check of one this coming Friday. I am building up a biggish list of questions.

The need to upgrade my current mobile devise is imminent. What I am thinking/hoping is that A10 might be able to provide a number of functions for me.

I use a Navman (S30) for "on the road" navigation and an Oregon 450 for geocaching "in the field". The S30 is very limited; I can't download geocaches or tracks onto it but manual entry of street addresses, street intersections is easy if time consuming. The maps and voice directions work well.

What I am hoping for is a tool that does all of the cell phone things (voice calls, texting etc) plus voice prompted street navigation and the capacity to down load gpx files with the geocaches showing up as I drive along and the capacity to navigate to them. I can see me still having a use for my "Oregon".

Any comments or ideas welcomed.

Jim

The need to upgrade my current mobile devise is imminent. What I am thinking/hoping is that A10 might be able to provide a number of functions for me.

I use a Navman (S30) for "on the road" navigation and an Oregon 450 for geocaching "in the field". The S30 is very limited; I can't download geocaches or tracks onto it but manual entry of street addresses, street intersections is easy if time consuming. The maps and voice directions work well.

What I am hoping for is a tool that does all of the cell phone things (voice calls, texting etc) plus voice prompted street navigation and the capacity to down load gpx files with the geocaches showing up as I drive along and the capacity to navigate to them. I can see me still having a use for my "Oregon".

Jim

Practically any Android phone will do what you're asking :laughing:

The need to upgrade my current mobile device is imminent. What I am thinking/hoping is that A10 might be able to provide a number of functions for me.

Jim

Practically any Android phone will do what you're asking :laughing:

Thanks for your replies.

I will be able to check it out this coming Friday.

Jim