I Had To Chuckle

Ecylram

I was on my lunch break and I was looking for a quick cache and grab. A search turned up a cache .3 miles away that was a 1.5 difficulty, 1.0 terrain in a parking lot. The coordinates took me within a few feet of a light pole. Got the picture? :blink:

Before I stepped out of the car I checked the logs and found this entry:

Tricky one. I had to change my point of view to get this one. Tried before and failed but this time I got the smiley!!! SL TFTC

Hmmm, I'm thinking to myself, perhaps this isn't what it seems...perhaps I should read further. Another log:

Looked first time, didn't see. Expanded search, then came to conclusion it had to be. Took second look and there it was. Happy Labor Day 2010. Found 18 caches today. tftc sl

A little further down I found two DNF's:

DNF for today. Cold and nasty and lots of muggles
No luck for me today. I didn't spend long looking, but felt like I checked all the likely spots near GZ with no success

And this 'Found' comment:

I looked and had to look twice. Nice hide.

I steeled myself for a search that might be longer than what was left of my lunch hour and got out of my car. I started with the obvious and sure enough...the container was under the skirt. :mad:

I had to chuckle as it was a reminder to me that even if a hide is 'OLD' to me, it isn't old to everybody. TFTC!

The 2nd or 3rd cache we looked for was a LPC. It was behind a building in an empty parking lot, in the middle of a large bush (with a small walkway), surrounded by cute alley cats.

We looked all over that bush for the cache, then I noticed people on the site mentioning LPC's. Couldnt figure out the abbrevation and finally I did.

I told her about it and we went back that day, sure enough it was right there! We have found 3 or so since then.

But we are going to do this one - GC19B2K Lampskirt Roulette

When you find the cache in the parking lot, you move it to a different lamp skirt. So you really have no clue where its at.

A cache of mine, sitting on open ground, eluded one of the world's most prolific cachers.

I know more than once I've made hard work of simple hides.

The best advice I can give anyone, at any level of finds - when you arrive at GZ look the area over and assess prospective hide types and cover. When in doubt, see my sig.

When you find the cache in the parking lot, you move it to a different lamp skirt. So you really have no clue where its at.

Now I just don't see the attraction to this one. All you are doing is running around a parking lot. What is fun about that?

The fun comes from trying to dodge the parked cars! They're sneaky and can come out of nowhere if you're not careful!

Now I just don't see the attraction to this one. All you are doing is running around a parking lot. What is fun about that?

I just think its a cool idea for a LPC, and I have a friend who lives a few blocks away that we throw Rock Band partys at. So we are going to stop by before the next party. And we want to see who finds it first (my girlfriend). Its just something different. I normally dont like urban caching unless we are doing something in the area. We prefer going to parks and trails to cache.

I just think its a cool idea for a LPC, and I have a friend who lives a few blocks away that we throw Rock Band partys at. So we are going to stop by before the next party. And we want to see who finds it first (my girlfriend). Its just something different. I normally dont like urban caching unless we are doing something in the area. We prefer going to parks and trails to cache.

I don't know, man. It just seems like another LPC only with 10 or 12 times the lame. But hey, have fun with it.

If you just told us the things you DO like about geocaching, your forum post count might be a MUCH smaller number.

I don't know, man. It just seems like another LPC only with 10 or 12 times the lame. But hey, have fun with it.

Clearly you haven't sufficiently explored the anguish and torment side of geocaching - when you arrive at GZ and discover the prospect of 10 or 12 times the usual angst of an LPC, then to your great relief find the cache is not in the very last of the lamp post skirts, you can puff out your chest, wipe the bead of sweat from your tortured brow and utter sweet thanks to [insert deity of your choice here] and feel much better as you rehide the cache with the prospect the next geocacher will hopefully endure more misery than yourself.

It's the least you can do. :blink:

Edited by DragonsWest
A cache of mine, sitting on open ground, eluded one of the world's most prolific cachers.

BTDTGTTS. I've found a couple 1-star caches (regular size, sitting on open ground) by tripping over them after several minutes of searching the area.

The best advice I can give anyone, at any level of finds - when you arrive at GZ look the area over and assess prospective hide types and cover.
But don't get trapped searching only the "obvious" places. Some of the most challenging finds I've made have been near obvious hiding spots (e.g., guard rails, lamp posts, park benches, hollow logs, UPS, newspaper stands), but not actually using the obvious hiding spot. In car rallyes, this kind of thing is called a "blackjack": something obvious draws your attention, which causes you to miss something more important.

BTDTGTTS. I've found a couple 1-star caches (regular size, sitting on open ground) by tripping over them after several minutes of searching the area.

The best advice I can give anyone, at any level of finds - when you arrive at GZ look the area over and assess prospective hide types and cover.
But don't get trapped searching only the "obvious" places. Some of the most challenging finds I've made have been near obvious hiding spots (e.g., guard rails, lamp posts, park benches, hollow logs, UPS, newspaper stands), but not actually using the obvious hiding spot. In car rallyes, this kind of thing is called a "blackjack": something obvious draws your attention, which causes you to miss something more important.

And then there are the Red Herrings - come to GZ and the CO has left neat little piles of sticks, rocks, pieces of wood, etc. all designed to trick you into looking under what looks like the obvious cover - only to find the cache is far more craftily hidden.

When hiding a cache in the woods I often start by looking for a place that has several of the normal hiding spots within a few feet. I was actually accused of planting false hides once. Honest, that pile of sticks, hollow stump, and fallen log were all there before I placed that cache fifteen feet up the tree. :blink:

Nothing, absolutely nothing reveals great cover like spending 45 minutes searching for a cache.

The 2nd or 3rd cache we looked for was a LPC. It was behind a building in an empty parking lot, in the middle of a large bush (with a small walkway), surrounded by cute alley cats.

We looked all over that bush for the cache, then I noticed people on the site mentioning LPC's. Couldnt figure out the abbrevation and finally I did.

I told her about it and we went back that day, sure enough it was right there! We have found 3 or so since then.

Hidden : 02/12/2008Tuesday, February 12, 2008

A moving cache, hidden in 2008 :wub::D:blink: ? How on earth did that one get by the reviewer? :grin:

I guess I don't see anything commercial about it. What about it do you think would be an issue?

"...home of Music Plus, where I bought my first cassette tape ("Desolation Boulevard" by Sweet) The Burger King location was once a failed attempt at bringing the dinky White Castle hamburgers to LA. Druids can probably remember what was there before White Castle. And before Staples. The view of office buildings to your north used to be the Circle Drive-In, where Druids..."

I had to remove references to any business in my second cache.

There are more than enough of them out there that beginning cachers will find one soon enough.

There are 4 stages of LPC searching.

1. My GPS is pointing at this lamppost in the middle of a parking lot? I see nothing attached. Wait, this skirt kind of wiggles. Do you think... Yes, I can raise it. And there is the cache. Horah! What a clever place to hide something

2. Ah! I know where this one will be. I've found several like this now. Kind of boring though, what's exciting about a parking lot?

3. Sigh. It's another LPC cache.

4. Why bother. There are plenty of other, more interesting hides out there.

I am at Stage 3

When hiding a cache in the woods I often start by looking for a place that has several of the normal hiding spots within a few feet. I was actually accused of planting false hides once. Honest, that pile of sticks, hollow stump, and fallen log were all there before I placed that cache fifteen feet up the tree. B)

I do believe that if I lived in your area I would both thoroughly enjoy your caches and learn new cuss words at the same time. :-)

Similar hides in the DFW area...called musical cache.