Mystery Geocache

JohnCFI

We have found a Geocache (fairly near another, but clearly not the same owner) This one is badly in need of maintenance, but we managed to deciper the Cache Name, and the Owners from the log. and also a note that says it is listed at Geocaching.com. We have not been able to locate either the Cache or the owners in the database.

It would appear from the logs of the nearby one that a few people have confused the two.

Should we take any action....... Whats the protocol in cases like this, thanks..

Perhaps the cache owner has since changed names. Or perhaps the name is an unofficial name used by a group of cachers who work together on their hides.

When I found a "lost" geocache, I was able to identify it by deciphering the names and dates of a few of the finds. I then looked up the caches those people found on that date, and figured out which one was hidden where I had found the "lost" geocache. From there, I was able to identify the cache owner. This works as long as some of the finders are still using the same name as they used to sign the log.

Thanks for all of that, The log is rather wet, all we could decipher was the info I have given, we did try. I did look at the adoption process, but it would be necessary to have the consent of the owner. I cannot post a 'Needs Maintenance' report as its not listed. Is there a way of asking for a search of Archived Caches?

I would like to sort it out as it is causing confusion to Geocachers. Perhaps I should mention it's in the Falklands, so caches here are something of a unique find, I feel for those that realise they got the wrong one! specially if they have already left our shores....

We have found a Geocache (fairly near another, but clearly not the same owner) This one is badly in need of maintenance, but we managed to deciper the Cache Name, and the Owners from the log. and also a note that says it is listed at Geocaching.com. We have not been able to locate either the Cache or the owners in the database.

It would appear from the logs of the nearby one that a few people have confused the two.

Should we take any action....... Whats the protocol in cases like this, thanks..

Thanks for all of that, The log is rather wet, all we could decipher was the info I have given, we did try. I did look at the adoption process, but it would be necessary to have the consent of the owner. I cannot post a 'Needs Maintenance' report as its not listed. Is there a way of asking for a search of Archived Caches?

I would like to sort it out as it is causing confusion to Geocachers. Perhaps I should mention it's in the Falklands, so caches here are something of a unique find, I feel for those that realise they got the wrong one! specially if they have already left our shores....

Could you post the cache name and the owner's name here, please?

There are only 10 caches in the Falklands Islands.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/nearest.aspx?country_id=69

9 are active, one is disabled. It's not close enough to any other cache to cause confusion. (GC14E7X Teal Inlet)

Could you post the cache name and the owner's name here, please?

There are only 10 caches in the Falklands Islands.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/nearest.aspx?country_id=69

9 are active, one is disabled. It's not close enough to any other cache to cause confusion. (GC14E7X Teal Inlet)

According to the log it is 'Gypsy's Treasure' and placed by 'Sarah & James' It is about 100 or so metres from the 'Ordnance Point' Cache, we were unable to recover any other info about 'Gypsy's Treasure' the log was totally sodden, and by chance the cover was in a little better condition, it did say 'Log finds on Geocaching.com'...

This is not the Teal Inlet cache (I am in touch with it's CO and he is sending a new Cache to place there, after that I will keep an eye on it).

It is too close to the other to be listed, and you know the other is active. It is in bad condition and and clearly not maintained. The name doesn't come up in a cache search, and the owner's name stated doesn't come up in a search.

CITO, and end the confusion. Bonus for you efforts would be anything reusable in your next placement.

It was submitted back in 2008 and rejected by the original Reviewer for a lack of a maintenance plan (they live in the UK apparently).

Here is the original Cache Owner:

Elfie

You might try contacting them and ask them what they want done with the container, although it appears as though they haven't logged on the site for quite some time.

Trucker Lee, Thanks, unfortunately nothing recoverable, but yes I think I would agree 'CITO', I will speak with a couple other Local Cachers and if they agree that's what we will do..

THANKS ALL

Still, its a cool mystery. I wonder if the reviewers have access to secret lists or maps of past archived placements?

Totally agree, and such a shame as we think it might predate all the other Caches in the Falklands, there must be a prize for a ftf in a new country.. We really would have liked to have restablished it, but alas it is too close to another, well established and popular cache.

It was submitted back in 2008 and rejected by the original Reviewer for a lack of a maintenance plan (they live in the UK apparently).

Here is the original Cache Owner:

Elfie

You might try contacting them and ask them what they want done with the container, although it appears as though they haven't logged on the site for quite some time.

Well Well Well, Mystery solved!! How did you find out who the CO was??

I will contact the CO and ask if we can remove it.....

Many thanks

I did a search for the cache name that you posted above. Since I have some limited Admin permissions on this account, it allows me to see Unpublished Listings.

The Cache Owner had changed the owner field to, what apparently is, their actual names rather than their Username (an editable field on the Listing form).

Just kind of lucky that they didn't decide to change the name of the cache when they got home, although a search by coordinates or nearby caches would have probably yielded the same results.

Thanks for following through on the issue. It's great to see Community involvement like this :D

I did a search for the cache name that you posted above. Since I have some limited Admin permissions on this account, it allows me to see Unpublished Listings.

The Cache Owner had changed the owner field to, what apparently is, their actual names rather than their Username (an editable field on the Listing form).

Just kind of lucky that they didn't decide to change the name of the cache when they got home, although a search by coordinates or nearby caches would have probably yielded the same results.

Thanks for following through on the issue. It's great to see Community involvement like this :D

Nomex, Thanks for your input, Have now been in touch with the CO, who has agreed we can clear it up, almost one for 'lost and found', the cache was placed to celebrate the spot at which he proposed to his girlfriend. Shame it's too close to the active one to relist it. (I'm a sucker for a romantic story!!).