tree question

Racettes

So I built this scraggly bird box to place a cache in (Im sure its been done a bunch of times, but I have yet to find one in my area) and the box looks very old and matches a tree very well.

Im not sure what the "rules" say about actually bolting the box to a tree

The guidelines say

"Caches that deface public or private property, whether a natural or man-made object, in order to provide a hiding place, a clue or a logging method."

This would be out on our state trail - now Ive seen other bird boxes out there (much smaller) that are bolted to metal poles stuck in the ground, obviously placed by nature officials of some sort

My box doesnt match them

What are the rules to bolting to a tree?? Ive seen videos of cache bird boxes bolted to a tree

I just dont want a person to find the cache and get all upset when they see it bolted to a tree??

Any thoughts/opinions people of the forums

Thanks

Racettes

Generally I find a tree or post somewhere that already has a nail in it.

I've seen trees with a nail placed in them, with park permission, so you might try approaching park management if you have that sort of placement in mind.

Same goes for private land.

If it's a dead tree, I think I'd be less concerned about adding a nail. (I just don't like the idea of pounding a nail into a living tree, as much as I'd dislike it pounding a nail into me.)

You might also try slinging a cable around the tree and having a hook on it. No damage there.

Best of luck!

Thats what I thought about bolting it to a tree - guideline violation (so I havent bolted it)

I did tie it up and around and this way and that way, but I checked on it and my ties werent good enough, they let loose, I was rushing to get it done, but I took it down and will look for better way to hang it

I have marked the bottom of the bird box with Geocache Logo as to seperate this box from others, plus the hole where the birds would go in and out, is blocked off by another board on the inside - so no way for birds to get in, so once you are actually looking at its quite obvious that its not a bird box

Plus all the other bird boxes on the trail are out in the open and are way different from mine (mine is bigger as so to hold a regular cache)

Thanks for the advice peoples

Racettes

Bird-boxes get nailed/screwed to trees every day by wildlife preservationists.

Nails and screws are not likely to harm the tree in any significant way.

NONE WHATSOEVER.

It's a perception issue.

Driving a nail into a tree is not the same as driving a nail into someone's head.

Hang your box by a cord using a pulley system to placate the mis-directed tree-huggers.

Bird-boxes get nailed/screwed to trees every day by wildlife preservationists.

Nails and screws are not likely to harm the tree in any significant way.

NONE WHATSOEVER.

It's a perception issue.

Driving a nail into a tree is not the same as driving a nail into someone's head.

Hang your box by a cord using a pulley system to placate the mis-directed tree-huggers.

Just curious - What org do you know of that uses this method and recommends it.

Edited by GPS-Hermit