I tried! i failed

ayrbrain

But will try again.

I tried for my very first cache this morning along the river Ayr. No Joy :anitongue: but will try again.

Off in to Ayr to try one this afternoon and dragging hubby along :signalviolin:

Does talking to yourself come naturally whilst geocaching? thats what I was doing trying for the first one

:mmraspberry:

and also

make sure that your GPS is set correctly to Degrees and Decimal Minutes and WGS84.

See more details here: "Follow the Arrow geocaching Resources for the UK and Ireland - GPS receivers, co-ordinates and waypoints - the Basics."

Good luck with your next attempt! ;)

MrsB

Thank you all. out of 3 today my total was a great big NIL but onwards and upwards, I think they were micro's but I wanted some near to where we live.

We trolled along a street and i am sure we must be on CCTV in the town! we were up and down a street. We think we hadn't set the gps up accurately, so hubby has changed "something" on it lol But I will fins

a cache yet! :-)

Edited by ayrbrain

Thank you all. Out of 3 I tried today my total was a bit fat NIL !!

but onwards and upwards. I think they were micro's

Hubby reckons we hadn't set the GPS up acruately we were something like 17-18mtrs from the cache, oh well I will keep trying, plenty of fresh air in Ayr anyway lol

I will look at the link you gave me as well.

Many thanks.

A common recommendation for beginners is to stick with small small.gif size, regular regular.gif size, and large large.gif size caches. Until you're more experienced, avoid micro micro.gif size caches, some of which are smaller than most beginners can imagine (sometimes called "nanos"). Save those for later, after you have some experience.

Also, stick with caches that have a difficulty rating of no more than 2 stars stars2.gif. Save the more difficult ones for later. You may also want to choose caches with easy terrain ratings. (The difficulty rating tells you how hard it is to find the cache once you get there. The terrain rating tells you how hard it is to get there.)

Under ideal conditions, a consumer GPSr will be accurate to about 3m (10'). That applies both to your GPSr, and to the GPSr of the cache owner, so you may find the container 15-20' from ground zero under ideal conditions. Under less than ideal conditions, both GPSr readings can be much less accurate.

It might help to look at some of the cache containers available online. For example, check out the cache containers sold by Groundspeak.

Also, take a look at the Pictures - Cool Cache Containers (CCC's) thread in the forums.

A common recommendation for beginners is to stick with small small.gif size, regular regular.gif size, and large large.gif size caches. Until you're more experienced, avoid micro micro.gif size caches, some of which are smaller than most beginners can imagine (sometimes called "nanos"). Save those for later, after you have some experience.

Also, stick with caches that have a difficulty rating of no more than 2 stars stars2.gif. Save the more difficult ones for later. You may also want to choose caches with easy terrain ratings. (The difficulty rating tells you how hard it is to find the cache once you get there. The terrain rating tells you how hard it is to get there.)

Under ideal conditions, a consumer GPSr will be accurate to about 3m (10'). That applies both to your GPSr, and to the GPSr of the cache owner, so you may find the container 15-20' from ground zero under ideal conditions. Under less than ideal conditions, both GPSr readings can be much less accurate.

It might help to look at some of the cache containers available online. For example, check out the cache containers sold by Groundspeak.

Also, take a look at the Pictures - Cool Cache Containers (CCC's) thread in the forums.

Thank you very much for all the info everyone.

When looking as a newbie - pick one a ways out there - away from other people who might see you searching so you can take your time. while talking to yourself - ask yourself, if I was hiding it where would I put it. Look for unnatural arrangement of rocks and sticks and bark covering up something. Look for it to be under something and be careful to not touch a big ole spider while looking - get a stick for help. Could be in a tree hole, rock hole, or just covered up! Do NOT put your hands in holes where you can't see and feel around for it, you may have to pick stuff up and look under it. Always replace what you move around.

You will get better and enjoy the outing as much as the hunt.

Does talking to yourself come naturally whilst geocaching? thats what I was doing trying for the first one

:P

Yes.

It's known as the "hint chant". Repeating the hint over and over like a mantra, is known to help sometimes. :cool:

Hilarious! I do this all the time as well, emphasizing different words to possibly change the meaning of the hint!

The pill container is customized.

Where is the friggin pill container?!

My first cache attempt was a DNF too. But the hunt was fun and I was hooked!

Edited by SeekerOfTheWay