Can I do a Traveller without a tag?

xyzabc

I can't afford TB tags at the time (well, can't order them, no credit card and no pay pal account) so I was wondering if I could do a traveller without a tag? I'd much rather use a tag, but I just can't get my hands on one.

"Make it idiot proof, and someone will make a better idiot"

Yeah you can do it wihtout the tags, but I've seen it's alot better when you use them. It tends to be when they dont' have a tag, there harder to keep track of, or more likely to get lost. I'd try to see if there is a cacher in the area who could get a tag for you.

jhwf4

the other cachers in the area seem to have a phobiea of meeting another cacher. I've attempted to make contact with them several times, but they don't answer my e-mails.

Not an option I'm affraid.

"Make it idiot proof, and someone will make a better idiot"

About 8 months ago or so I placed a placed a hitchiker on a whim while travelling in WA. I left detailed instructions as well as the address of a web site to track him (couldn't get a tag because I had no address and wasn't there long). Unfortunately he made it out of the cache then disapeared and my emails to the person who removed him went unanswered.

Recently I left a travel bug with tag in Hollywood while I was travelling in CA. He has yet to leave the cache but I'm hoping he will complete his mission (same as the other one, make it back to Erie (though they have different caches as their goal.)

"...Not all those who wander are lost..."

Travelers were around before the tags ever came into existence. The tags just make it a lot easier to track them. I've hit on two different travelers that did not have the TB tags. One listed an off-site website to log them at, and the other requested a note on the page of the cache it was first released into. Another example: I recently purchased some Texas Geocoins, which have tracking numbers that can be logged at www.txgeocoins.com.

25021_1200.gif

About a month ago I ran across a different kind of 'Travel Bug' in a cache that I found. It was a paper cutout printed and shaped like a Monarch butterfly. On the back were instructions to move it along to a cache further north - it's mission was to reach Canada (it had been 'released' in Texas). There was also a website (and email) address printed on it where you could get more info and report on it's progress.

Obviously, it was an 'independent' Travel Bug, using the caches set up here in Geocaching.com but otherwise, apparently not associated with this site. It looked harmless and fun, so I played along, treating it pretty much like I would any 'official' Travel Bug (except for the online logging, of course) and placing it in a cache further north from where I found it. After that, it was picked up and moved again pretty quickly, too.

You might look into this as a model for an alternate to our regular 'official' Bugs. The website is: http://www.bga.com/~pixel/butterfly/gcmonarch.htm

I don't know if there are any fees associated with these butterflies, or if they're a fiendish plot to undermine American security, so proceed at your own risk. At the least, they may help you get ideas if you decide to create your own 'independent' Bugs...

- Genius Loci ('the guardian spirit of a place')

quote:
Originally posted by Genius Loci:

About a month ago I ran across a different kind of 'Travel Bug' in a cache that I found. It was a paper cutout printed and shaped like a Monarch butterfly......

Cool link! Thanks for sharing that. I also emailed the GC folks (in case they had not heard of it yet - which is unlikely, I know, but just in case) so maybe they can add it to the LINKS page.

quote:

I don't know if there are any fees associated with these butterflies, or if they're a fiendish plot to undermine American security, so proceed at your own risk.

See that other thread: icon_biggrin.gifCanada in the United States.

-----

You must be present to win.

quote:
Originally posted by Genius Loci:

About a month ago I ran across a different kind of 'Travel Bug' in a cache that I found. It was a paper cutout printed and shaped like a Monarch butterfly......

Cool link! Thanks for sharing that. I also emailed the GC folks (in case they had not heard of it yet - which is unlikely, I know, but just in case) so maybe they can add it to the LINKS page.

quote:

I don't know if there are any fees associated with these butterflies, or if they're a fiendish plot to undermine American security, so proceed at your own risk.

See that other thread: icon_biggrin.gifCanada in the United States.

-----

You must be present to win.