New to this

iMacDaddy+Son

Hello. My son and I started searching today for the first time. He is 15 and loved it. Good father and son thing. I am using my iphone 3GS with the app. I am guessing that I will be upgrading to a dedicated GPS, but really my iPhone has done well so far. I had no idea there were so many around. We found 3 out of 4 in a 15 minute walk from our house. I think i made some mistakes and will do better next time. I think some people saw us find one. I now see thats kinda not cool. They were older so I hope they didn't do anything with it. I also think I am writing too large when I sign the log. Is there any other things we should be aware of? We have added a little something to each find so far ( dice ). As for the one we didn't find, my son insists we go back and try again. It was found 7 days ago so its most likely still there. How small is micro? Anyways, I am rambling on, just saying hi. Thanks for any help you might give new people loving it so far.

Hello Sethdanger & Son,

A warm welcome to caching, it's habit forming you know, very difficult to get away from. You've been warned.

If you're concerned about the cache you were spotted at you could always drop by again just to check. Depends how big the log book is as to the size of your signature/note. Most regular caches have a decent size book allowing for a reasonable comment. However Micro caches, (typically a 35mm film pot) usually only have room on the log sheet for a signature and date. Nano caches though being very tiny I've seen where you can hardly get your initials on the log sheet.

You've already worked out the most important thing about caching, that's to have fun. The second most important thing I think by the way you talk you also already know but might not realise it, that's not to spoil things, let everyone else have fun as well.

Regards to you both

Bernard

PS I see you're from Canada, should be great to get out into the countryside there. The parks to the north look very inviting.

Welcome!

'Micro' as a size is '35mm film tub or smaller'

The 'or smaller' is the critical bit... The cache could be a'nano' size cache, which can be something the size of the rubber/eraser on the end of a pencil. :P

The only time to be worried, if you are seen by kids/teenagers who may then remove/destroy the cache 'as fun' -but always best to try to retrieve and replace without being noticed.

(There is no official nano size, it's still a Micro, but the really small ones get called 'nano's' to give cachers some idea of size. A cache size marked 'other' or 'not chosen' may also be a nano...)

Thank you very much for your help. Yes, the cache we couldn't find is a micro. So we will look for small. We are going again today to try. I will go back to the one that I think we were seen at, just to make sure. I don't want us to screw it up for other people. Also reading my 1st post, it kinda sounded like we found the three in 15 minutes. I should have said each one was about a 15 minute walk to the location. We were out walking around for a few hours. The one we couldn't find we probably looked in the location for 1/2 hour. My son was on his computer last night for hours finding places he wanted to go look. Youtube videos. Some pretty cool hiding places. I was pricing out GPS's. Good stuff. Thanks again for all your help.

If you can't find a cache, don't be shy about posting a DNF log on it.

(Always helps to find the ones you DNF'd when you want to look fir them again later!)

On each cache page, in the top right corner under @Navigation' there is 'Watch Listing' -if you can't find a cache, put it on a 'Watch List' and you will get emails whenever anyone else posts a log... You will know if it is still there if a 'Found' gets logged.

Welcome to Geocaching sethdanger!

Check out the Groundspeak store for some examples of geocaches including those nasty nanos. The Cool Cache Container Forum Discussion will also give you some ideas.

Your local geocaching organization is www.bcgeocaching.com

iphone3GS is great for urban hides and those rural ones that are not too far off the road. But not so good in the forests and the mountains. Don't forget to waymark your car so that you can find your back.

Enjoy your Geocaching Adventures!

The mwellmans from near Edmonton, Alberta

thank you all for your help, it really does help allot. We went back to the cache that we think people watched us open. It was safe, all there and hidden properly. Thats a load off my mind. We also went back and retried to find the one we couldn't figure out. We found it right away this time. Its a cache that was staring us in the face. I don't know how many times I looked right at it yesterday. Its the first one we have found that was using a fake item to hide the cache in. Great stuff. We went on to find four more today. Thanks again for the help and the welcome.