GPS for placement

Hey Everyone,

Apologies if this should be in a hardware forum, but I wanted UK'ers opinions for sourcing etc.

I want to place my first cache, but don't want to use my iPhone 4 to do it for fear of inaccurate co-ords. Love my iPhone for finding and will continue to use it, but want buy a device just for placing.

So, looking for a cheap, but accurate GPS unit. Is the eTrex H accurate? Any suggestions?

Many Thanks

Marc

Hey Everyone,

Apologies if this should be in a hardware forum, but I wanted UK'ers opinions for sourcing etc.

I want to place my first cache, but don't want to use my iPhone 4 to do it for fear of inaccurate co-ords. Love my iPhone for finding and will continue to use it, but want buy a device just for placing.

So, looking for a cheap, but accurate GPS unit. Is the eTrex H accurate? Any suggestions?

Many Thanks

Marc

Yes, the eTrex H is accurate and thousands of caches have been placed with them. If you don't need any of the features offered by the other models then it's the one for you.

GPS12 or GPS12map are both cheap to buy now and are perfect for setting caches. I set quite a number of caches with either the 12 or 12 map and never received logs about inaccurate co-ords. The first time I did get a log about inaccurate co-ords was when I used my "new" Colorado a couple of years ago. I took the 12map to get a better fix and no one had trouble finding it again.

Welcome and good luck with your first cache. :P

When taking your coordinates, hold the GPS up so it gets a good signal and stand there for a while. If you can try to revisit the spot over a few days, if not get coordinates, then walk away a little then come back note down the next set of coordinates and do this several times. With your list you can take an average, some units have an option to do this built in.

When you are cache page is ready to go take a look at the map to check it looks to be in the right area.