Geocoin etiquette

Capt. Sandor

I picked up my first geocoin, logged it in as picked up by me, then saw a thread on collected coins. How do I collect coins that are supposed to move on? I would like to collect coins, but would feel bad not sending the little guys on thier way. What to do?

You buy a coin and you put that one in your collection. The one you got out of a cache is not yours and not meant or intended for you to put in your personal collection. Please send it on its way.

There is a list on here where you can buy coins from... Someone should be able to provide the link since I can't remember it. I have an amazing coin that I would love but I already know the cache it is going in next. But then I think that I have a coin order already coming...

What I do is buy coins in doubles so that I can keep one and then activate and travel one.

^^ What they said.

Geocoins and TBs that have been released and are found in caches are meant to travel and be moved to another cache. They belong to another cacher who is watching them travel.

Poeple who collect geocoins buy them themselves and keep them either in a collection at home or on their person so they can be "discovered" by other cachers, some take their collections to events to show them to other cachers.

There have been incidents of people finding geocoins in caches and keeping them, but this is theft and is frowned upon.

Geocoins can be bought on online auction sites and from various online stores, including the Groundspeak store I believe. An internet search for geocoins will give you links to places that sell them :anicute:

I picked up my first geocoin, logged it in as picked up by me, then saw a thread on collected coins. How do I collect coins that are supposed to move on? I would like to collect coins, but would feel bad not sending the little guys on thier way. What to do?

You buy a coin and you put that one in your collection. The one you got out of a cache is not yours and not meant or intended for you to put in your personal collection. Please send it on its way.

Once in a while you'll find an unactivated coin in a cache that was left as a gift. Those are OK to take, but never keep an activated trackable.

One of the best ways to build up a collection is to make up your own coins, then trade with others.