Google Maps inaccurate

Mark+Karen

I've just submitted a new cache hide and I've had to put in the notes, and the cache description that the cache isn't where Google Maps would appear to put it.

It's in the correct location, but google makes it look like the cache is on the southern side of the river whereas it's actually on the northern side. The problem being that google's plotting of the river through Chester-le-Street is wildly inaccurate!

And yes, my coords are correct, checked against sat images and OS 1:25,000 maps which have the river in the right place it all looks fine.

Is this a common problem? And is there anything I can do about it aside from putting a warning on the cache description?

One question is it near a tree with numerous branches? ;)

It's ok I don't use Google Maps to Review caches :) preferring OS 25,000 and MAGIC maps. With Google Satellite and GS Street View & Streetmap as a extra reference. And Google Earth as a resource as well (it's great for working out the shortest bushwackable route :yikes: )

Oh and did I say you've not got any cache submissions waiting for Review :D it got published straight away :ph34r:

Deci :huh:

Is this a common problem? And is there anything I can do about it aside from putting a warning on the cache description?

I've noticed this before with Google Maps. Usually if the "map" tab shows your cache on the wrong side of a river/canal, if you click the "satellite" tab you will notice that it is now in the correct place as the "satellite" images are more accurately mapped.

Don't worry about it - I don't think that many people would go out and hunt a cache based on Google Maps alone (although I did do my first few caches using the satellite view whilst I was waiting for my Garmin to arrive! ;))

Just a thought to ponder on. Could it have something to do with the zoom factor being used? I have noticed that when I zoom in as close as I can then the Cache is mapped in the correct location. As I said, just a thought.

That's certainly true on the iPhone as the location can appear to be quite different than when you zoom in.

But no, in this case it's just that the google map is wrong. In fact it has the river on the map to the east of here as running overground, when in fact it's underground, and even then it has it running around a quarter of a mile to the north of its real location at times.

I've noticed this before with Google Maps. Usually if the "map" tab shows your cache on the wrong side of a river/canal, if you click the "satellite" tab you will notice that it is now in the correct place as the "satellite" images are more accurately mapped.

not really, that differs from area to area. it might just as well be the other way around. in fact most times i've found the road maps (and the topo features such as rivers) to be more accurate and the aerial images to be misaligned.

to get a feel for what's happening with the aerial images and why, take a look at http://coord.info/GC17MTQ and zoom into the cache location using the aerial images. you'll see a crooked footbridge. but if you take a look at the many posted pictures, the bridge is actually perfectly straight!

I am one that does search just using Google maps and this has clarified why everyone tells me how inaccurate they can be when I have always found them to be spot on. The river is drawn in the wrong place and this does not change when zooming (although Street Map does seem to have a change of mind at different magnifications), but switch to satellite view and I wouldn't mind betting I could follow the path right to it.

Thanks for the warning and taking the time to help us strange GPSless folk, but we know we are doing things the hard way and can have no complaints if we fail ;)