Possibility to adopt a cache owned by a user that hasn't been active in over two years?

RebelTJ

I have a cache near me that is owned by wkellogg01 and is still active. wkellogg01 has not been to the site in over two years now and another of his caches was archived with this message by the reviewer: "Archiving the cache since the owner is no longer available for maintenance." (View Log)

Is there a way for me to adopt the cache that is near my home and still active? Can it be done without having the original archived and me create a new one? Should I make an attempt to contact wkellogg01 in order to gain permission? Does anyone know if there are details as to the user's disappearance?

Any insight on this matter is appreciated as I would like to take over maintenance of the cache officially...

I have a cache near me that is owned by wkellogg01 and is still active. wkellogg01 has not been to the site in over two years now and another of his caches was archived with this message by the reviewer: "Archiving the cache since the owner is no longer available for maintenance." (View Log)

Is there a way for me to adopt the cache that is near my home and still active? Can it be done without having the original archived and me create a new one? Should I make an attempt to contact wkellogg01 in order to gain permission? Does anyone know if there are details as to the user's disappearance?

Any insight on this matter is appreciated as I would like to take over maintenance of the cache officially...

Without the owner responding to emails the short/long answer is no. See this Knowledgebook article.

Edited by jholly

I sent an email to the CO via his/her profile... I hope for a reply...

It's already archived go pick it up, refurbish it and submit as a new cache. The reviewer probably gave the CO plenty of time to respond before the cache was archived.

No, the one I am talking about is not the one i posted a link to... the one I want is still active and getting logs.

You can always take over maintenance of the cache but not be listed as the owner.

I've seen where some owners with great hides have stopped caching, but fellow cachers didn't want to see their caches get archived, so the community took over maintaining them.

The caches go on people's watch list, and if there are any issues reported, someone goes out and fixes it and posts a note on the cache page. If there was a Needs Maintenance log posted, a quick email to the reviewer can get it removed.

If you think you'd like to take this appraoch, email the reviewer and get their thoughts.

You can always take over maintenance of the cache but not be listed as the owner.

I've seen where some owners with great hides have stopped caching, but fellow cachers didn't want to see their caches get archived, so the community took over maintaining them.

The caches go on people's watch list, and if there are any issues reported, someone goes out and fixes it and posts a note on the cache page. If there was a Needs Maintenance log posted, a quick email to the reviewer can get it removed.

If you think you'd like to take this appraoch, email the reviewer and get their thoughts.

Some do that here in WNY. We had a user who placed some awesome caches around here and some try to keep them up and running.

Without the owner responding to emails the short/long answer is no. See this Knowledgebook article.

So would it be possible for me to add a note log to some/all of my caches authorising Groundspeak and the cache publishing reviewer responsible for the area the cache is in, to transfer the cache's ownership to a publisher approved other owner in the event that I am inactive for, say, more than 12 months?