Travel Bug Goals

Eric K

Maybe it's just me personally but I think the Travel Bugs that have a specific mission instead of just "This bug just wants to travel from cache to cache" bugs are much more interesting.

I'm just guessing but it seems like if a bug has a 'specific' mission maybe people will be more inclined to help it on it's way.

I haven't sent any out yet, but I'm inclined to think otherwise. The goals of my bugs will be fairly spefic, I guess - but I've also stated in the attached card other things that they can do to help my bug.

For example, one of my bugs wants to see a Nascar Winston Cup race - but it also says that it "likes all kinds of racing, so feel free to take a picture in front of me around anything racing related"

That way at least if a cacher can't help me directly towards my goal, there is a little 'side-goal' along the journey that they might want to help with.

Rubbertoe - Webcam - Image Archives

--== http://www.bigfoot.com/~rbatina ==--

The more specific your goal, the less likely it is to get placed in another cache immediately. After all, the mover has to find a cache that will help them on their way...

I've had bugs with specific missions and bugs without missions and some in the middle ("go West"). My travellers without specific guidelines hop the most, and my most specific guideline bug Illuvian has only been in six caches since January. Most of his time was spent in the hands of cachers. icon_frown.gif

Goals enhance the experience, but I'd suggest making them broad goals.

Markwell

Chicago Geocachers

The more specific your goal, the less likely it is to get placed in another cache immediately. After all, the mover has to find a cache that will help them on their way...

I've had bugs with specific missions and bugs without missions and some in the middle ("go West"). My travellers without specific guidelines hop the most, and my most specific guideline bug Illuvian has only been in six caches since January. Most of his time was spent in the hands of cachers. icon_frown.gif

Goals enhance the experience, but I'd suggest making them broad goals.

Markwell

Chicago Geocachers

Help me think this game through, it might not

work out.

We are thinking of releasing a keep-away bug. It's goal will be to keep out of the hands of a specific user. It must stay in bounds, but keep moving as quickly as possible to avoid being caught! There will be an out-of-bounds rule of course. There must also be a quick-log, (must log) and quick-release rule (12 hours?).

If (when) caught, it should be re-released with a new user specified. This user should also be researched enough to know that the same out-of-bounds is appropriate for them. Also, they should be an active user.

Players will be notified by email of course. Since some teamwork may be involved to help it along, a few emails to some very active cachers to get it started moving along might help.

If the area is too small, it will be too easy. If it's too large, then the potential for frustration by the player looking for it might exists. Imagine travelling 4 hours driving to a site where it was logged only to miss it by minutes. Then again, maybe the game lasts longer because the player waits for it to move closer to them. If it happens to stay in a far place for a few days, the "team" might figure to leave it where it is, but then the long drive becomes more worthwhile...hmmm

Not sure this would work. Worth a try? Maybe it's already been tried (newbie here)?

Expanding on your "keep away" bug...

You really have to have a known set of users in a metropolitan area for this to work. I could see it working in Chicago, Atlanta, Portland, etc. In Chicago, we have a known group of core cachers that go out and find a whole lot of the new caches (they're also pretty good at hiding). I could release the bug and try to keep it away from Genius Loci for example. The boundaries would be the Chicagoland caches.

What I would also suggest is that the bug is "kept away" from a particular cacher for a two week period. Whoever has the bug on the first of the month gets to decide which cacher it is kept away from. That way, the cacher who's "it" has ample opportunity to try and catch the bug.

For example: Genius Loci decides that the bug is to be kept away from Markwell and places it in Orchard Valley. I can try to get it. But Bspeng gets it before I do.

Your scenario would mean that Bspeng would get to determine a new victim. My way, Bspeng would place it in another cache, thus taunting me again.

Regarding the 12 hour replacement rule - that's a little harsh. If this happened to be the last stop of a 3 or 4 cache Sunday, I wouldn't take the bug. I'd say if you use the two week rule as I suggested, you could relax the replacement rule to 48 or 72 hours.

Markwell

Chicago Geocachers