Geocaching info crashed?

mutt&bob

I download caches for a new area we were traveling to for a vacation, when we got there I received the statement no info available because I had not renew my Premium status. If you don't renew does Groundspeak cancel your usage?

Edited by mutt&bob

Can you give a little more information about the problem you are seeing?

Where are you getting this message?

"I received the statement no info available because I had not renew my Premium status". On your Pocket Query page? On a PMO cache page? On your computer? On your GPS unit? Somewhere else?

And yes, if your Premium Membership lapses, you will not be able to access any Premium Membership features on the Geocaching.com website until you reactivate your membership.

"I received the statement no info available because I had not renew my Premium status". On your Pocket Query page? On a PMO cache page? On your computer? On your GPS unit? Somewhere else?

And yes, if your Premium Membership lapses, you will not be able to access any Premium Membership features on the Geocaching.com website until you reactivate your membership.

I went to the info page for a town area, selected the caches I wanted to look for. Downloaded each cache individually to my Garmin 450t. They ploted OK on the maps. When we went to look for them my GPSr just stated I needed to be a Premium member to obtain the cache, hints, logs, and description. I even notified the cache owners their caches were incorrectly marked. I am NOT happy with Groundspeak or ?

I'm not sure what "the index for an area" is.

As a basic member, you can download .loc files in groups of up to 20 at a time from any search page.

The .loc file is coordinates, cache name and cache GC Code only.

index page==the page that lists the caches for the area you select. It has the basic info for the cache, from there I click on "Send to GPS", and click on "Write", then when I get the message I proceed to another cache. NO pocket querys, just each individual cache after I read the decription for that cach.

I went to the info page for a town area, selected the caches I wanted to look for. Downloaded each cache individually to my Garmin 450t. They ploted OK on the maps. When we went to look for them my GPSr just stated I needed to be a Premium member to obtain the cache, hints, logs, and description. I even notified the cache owners their caches were incorrectly marked. I am NOT happy with Groundspeak or ?

You can only display the full cache info on the Garmin Oregon 450t if you've downloaded GPX data for the cache. To download GPX data, you have to be a Premium member. Otherwise, you can only download LOC data to the GPSr, which contains only the cache code and coordinates. You can still access the full cache page data online, just not download it to your GPSr.

This has nothing to do with whether a cache is Premium Members Only or not, so the cache owners have not mislabeled their caches. (The fact that you can still see the caches as a Basic member means they are not PMO caches.)

And it's always been this way for Basic vs. Premium memberships, as Keystone noted. Nothing's changed at Groundspeak or with the caches. The only change is in your membership status. Going from Premium to Basic means you lose certain data privileges.

Edited by hydnsek
I even notified the cache owners their caches were incorrectly marked.

Sounds like there's going to be some very confused cache owners. :unsure:

It sounds like you downloaded gpx files when you were still a premium member.

Now that you aren't any more, you are only able to access the .loc files for those caches.

It's not the caches that are premium member only, it's the data you downloaded.

Downloaded each cache individually to my Garmin 450t. They ploted OK on the maps. When we went to look for them my GPSr just stated I needed to be a Premium member to obtain the cache, hints, logs, and description.
I'm probably just confused by the Original Post, so feel free to ignore this reply. But I can't see any indication that you aren't a Premium Member. So when you "Send To GPS", you will receive the complete cache page info text.

There is a "Basic Member switching to Premium Member" issue, with the Garmin 450T. I know, because I had the problem: The "non-info" cache descriptions tend to stick in the GPS memory, and then not get overwritten by the Premium Member all-info cache descriptions. And it only happens during this switch-over period from Basic to Premium membership, when you have the old cache files on the GPSr. I had to manually delete the "old" cache files from the GPSr (it's an ordinary housekeeping thing you should do anyway), then run the Pocket Query or send the individual files again.

This may not be your issue, since I have no way to know when the problem occurred vs. when you renewed Premium Membership -- unless your question is why you lapsed to Basic Membership when you're all paid up. Anyway, if you're currently getting non-Premium files, something's definitely wrong.