Dirty needles and broken glass

greenfreek

I've posted this here as well as in another section too as I'm new to the forum and wasnt sure where to post...

Hello,

Im new to geocaching (only been doing it a month)

I woke up this morning to find a new cache in my are that happened to be on my route to and from work.

I go passed this place every day, and although its normally quite messy and not really an ideal hang out, I didn't realise how bad it was until I started looking for cache. Within minutes rather than finding the cache I came across 3 dirty needles, copious amounts of broken glass along with empty beer cans and bottles.

I wouldn't even recommend this to CITO as theres just no telling how dangerous it is.

I posted a small DNF log on the cache page in question saying that basically I didn't find it because I didn't want to hang around.

Im not quite sure what else to do tho. Should I report it to some one? If so who? And what do I say?

I wanted to warn people because I normally take my 2 nieces caching with me and I'd hate for any children to find the needles (or anyone for that matter.)

What do I do?

As far as caching goes, you did the right thing if your dnf explained why you did not want to continue your search. If it is indeed a new cache, I have to assume that the area did not changed dramatically since it was placed, but I have seen a few "garbage pile" hides in my day. Sometimes I wonder about why certain spots seem to have cried out for a cache to be placed there.

Edited by mulvaney

Does it not fall under the responsibility of a reviwer to check out these sort of things too tho?

What does a 'reviewer' actually do? and how do you become one?

A reviewer simply ensures the cache meets the obvious guidelines: it is not placed too close to another cache; it is not placed on restricted property; it is not a commercial advertisement; it does not have an agenda; the coordinates are not in the middle of the ocean, 3000 miles from the intended location; it is not a virtual; and the the like. A reviewer may not like a cache or the style of hide, but as long as it seems that it meets the guidelines, it will be approved. A reviewer has no way of determining the condition of the property.

It is my understanding that there is no application process, the powers that be will find you. I figure the process must be like Paul on the road to Damascus, a light comes down and you get a higher calling. For some reason it has never happened to me.

Edited by mulvaney

So nobody actually goes to the cache to find it and make sure its safe?? Or thats its even there?

I want to be a reviewer. I think if I was I would've told the owner to move it somewhere a bit more child/people friendly

Safety is relative. I have done caches where the CO has a disclaimer not to hold him (or Groundspeak) liable if you hurt yourself while bushwhacking off trail and climbing to a rocky overlook. Caches do not have to be safe or people friendly. I have seen a few that are in areas similar to what you encountered, where people have used the location as garbage dumps or for other things equally disgusting. You quickly learn to be choosy and try to identify the caches that might interest you. If you get to an area and do not like it, feel it is unsafe, not a fun search, then move on to something else. As I mentioned earlier, I am constantly amazed by some of the locations that someone thought suitable for a cache.

The exception to this is if the guidelines are at issue. One cache warned you not to do it if you had a problem with encountering law enforcement. It was placed behind a fence on property posted with signs prohibiting entry and warning about dangerous conditions. The reviewer was notified of the problem and it was soon archived.

As to whether its there, or the coordinates are accurate, that is for the first to find, or subsequent seekers, to verify.

Edited by mulvaney

Does it not fall under the responsibility of a reviwer to check out these sort of things too tho?

What does a 'reviewer' actually do? and how do you become one?

There is never any guarantee of the safety of a cache location. From your description, not a pleasant location for a cache. But there are lots of caches in dangerous places. You have logged why you did not search. That should be enough of a warning for others. If you don't like an area, don't search for a cache there.

Falling down cliffs and hurting yourself on rocks and things is a bit different tho isnt it? Or is that just me?

If you see a cache in a terrain 5 then you know what to expect.

You dont however expect to rummage away in amongst trees in a terrain 1 and then find you've been stabbed by a needle and could have potentially caught god knows what.

Or even worse your child finds it?? Would that not make you sick???

Edited by greenfreek

You dont however expect to rummage away in amongst trees in a terrain 1 and then find you've been stabbed by a needle and could have potentially caught god knows what.

Or even worse your child finds out?? Would that not make you sick

Yes it would. I have come close to being stuck by needles on a few finds. I advised people about it in my log and contacted the owner separately -- although that has never done much good. So now I generally survey an area before starting to search and try to be careful where I stick my hands. If I saw glass and trash, and had my daughter with me, I would instantly turn around.

Needles. Spiders. Snakes. There are a lot of areas where caches are placed that can get you intro trouble. Be careful when reaching for anything you cannot see.

But with that in mind, it is unfortunate that you had a bad experience so early into the game. I hope that it has not affected your perception of it. Caching has truly taken me to some marvelous locations, places both near and far from my home, that I would not have discovered but for the game. My daughter and I have followed beautifully constructed caches up a ridge, gathering clues in search of "Incan Gold." We have learned about pirates, seen wildlife, urban murals, beautiful geological formations, historical locations, and unexpected art.

A few years ago, we visited your country (England) to watch the world's professional darts championship in London. Caching took us on a tour of the East Side, following the footsteps of Jack the Ripper, and we spent a great day in part of the town that we had not visited before. It brought us to a 16th Century pub (there are probably a lot of them, but this one was nice). We found caches that included everything from the Battersea Peace Pagoda to the Cheddar Gorge, Stonehenge and Avebury. It enriched our trip.

Somewhat closer to home, my wife and I have taken trips into the Zion Narrows, along a beach at sunset, or looked down at the Grand Canyon from an isolated overlook, 3000 feet below us. I have had adventures with friends that I have made while caching. Yes, there are a few bad placements. But then I find a cache that reminds me of why I started to like this game . . .

Edited by mulvaney

Thanks mulvaney.

It hasn't put me off caching, I've had so much fun so far and can't wait to find some more.

I'm a bit disappointed how some people seem to think this isn't a concern but each to their own.

I'm just not really sure where to go from here. I guess I could call the local council in the morning.

I dunno... *sigh*

Thanks mulvaney.

It hasn't put me off caching, I've had so much fun so far and can't wait to find some more.

I'm a bit disappointed how some people seem to think this isn't a concern but each to their own.

I'm just not really sure where to go from here. I guess I could call the local council in the morning.

I dunno... *sigh*

The particular cache you were looking was placed by someone new to the game, had three previous finders, and you were the first one to notice the problem. You might want to see if anyone else notices these things and double check to make sure you were searching in the right area, or if the owner responds to the note in your DNF. But of course if there are needles about, it might warrant someone's attention regardless of whether there is a cache nearby.

Edited by mulvaney

If this cache is in a park, contact those who run it. Or the Council. They will have the appropriate tools for picking up those needles and the containers to put them in - at least, they do here. I have even found used syringes and needles outside our dental office, and they weren't the type we use. I just gloved up and put them in our sharps bin. This isn't a problem for the reviewers to fix.

Reviewers are chosen, we can't volunteer for the positions. How the choosing is done, I don't know, but TPTB choose well, so they must know what they are doing!

...Within minutes rather than finding the cache I came across 3 dirty needles, copious amounts of broken glass along with empty beer cans and bottles.

I wouldn't even recommend this to CITO as theres just no telling how dangerous it is.

I posted a small DNF log on the cache page in question saying that basically I didn't find it because I didn't want to hang around.

Im not quite sure what else to do tho. Should I report it to some one? If so who? And what do I say?

I wanted to warn people because I normally take my 2 nieces caching with me and I'd hate for any children to find the needles (or anyone for that matter.)

What do I do?

You've walked into a cultural divide within the GeoCaching community.

One group sees dangers as an inherit part of the game...if it's too much for you, don't do it. These individuals tend to enjoy the non-antiseptic nature of the sport.

The second group emphasize the "family" aspect of the sport and feel that certain dangers, at least those at caches with low difficulty ratings, should be noted or addressed in some way.

I fall in the second group and it sounds like you do as well. Depending on the quantity of needles, I would have just posted a note about the needles in the log and left it at that. YMMV.

Just to let you all know... I posted it as a dnf on the log and the owner has since closed it down and moved it and reopened it. He also has reported the area to be cleaned up and I meanwhile have found the cache. Thanks guys x

All's well that ends well. Glad to hear it.