Stoveless ultralight meals ideas

This should be a simple 2 day Bike, Hike, (and maybe swim) back country trip. Our packs (my travel partner and mine) need to keep our small and narrow as the bush is going to be dense, and we're covering ~8km of bushwhacking.

We will be traveling stove less and only cooking on a fire. This pretty much kills off anything that requires added hot water.

What meals (dinner and Breakfast mainly) would you recommend that could either be cooked on a fire, or served non-heated?

Just got back from a backpack where I made some instant "healthy" pudding. All you need is a pack of instant pudding, but I added a scoop of protein powder, 2 tablespoons of chia seed, and a tablespoon of almond meal. Delicious and full of protein.

Did you use powered milk and water?

This sounds like it would be a good lunch desert with loads of benifit.

Just got back from a backpack where I made some instant "healthy" pudding. All you need is a pack of instant pudding, but I added a scoop of protein powder, 2 tablespoons of chia seed, and a tablespoon of almond meal. Delicious and full of protein.

Did you use powered milk and water?

This sounds like it would be a good lunch desert with loads of benifit.

Sure did. Actually, since I'm on the "primal" diet (and can't find many sugar free alternatives) the full recipe is below

Backpacker Pudding

1/3 cup dry milk

1 scoop protein powder

1.5 T pectin

1T almond meal

2T chia seed

2T splenda (cup for cup)

2/3 cup water

Keep dry ingredients separate. Add water when needed and wait 30 minutes.

I made up this recipe and hope it works!

Edited by SKBeatdown

The foil packets of tuna are light weight and you can eat right from the packet. They also make foil packets of marinated chicken breast and salmon that aren't half bad. You might even be able to heat the packets in the coals (though I've not tried that).

+1 on that. Also, bagels with PB & J (or honey or whatever) could work. Also, summer sausage - toasted with a stick - yummy!

Out of curiosity why does 'cooking over a fire' preclude heating water? Seems like a canteen cup of some sort or a tin can (or fire heated rocks in your water containers, etc.) would make heating water over (or next to) a fire trivial.

When I did more camping we did it almost exclusively without a stove (lugging anymore stuff with just turned me off). We were able to successfully heat water on/near fires with a simple pan. Don't need a particularly deep one. Or big one. You just need a little thing to heat water in.

Anyhow, if you don't want that I agree jerkies and summer sausage, bagels or bread with topping of choice.

But I would consider bringing a small pan/cup to heat water in and expand your options.

If your water source is natural - river, lake, spring, whatever - you should always, ALWAYS boil the water before using/drinking. I don't care if it's the most pristine looking spring-fed creek you've ever seen....get a few animals in or around it doing their thing in the woods ( no, not THAT thing. :D ) and you'll be wishing you'd taken the 5-10 minutes to boil your water.

Do not ask me how I know this. :)

Just trust me.

Thanks for the suggestions.

I am bringing a small pot with me (need to confirm it is not too small).

For the tinfoil tuna and other meats, I think I may repack them in actual tinfoil just incase I want to heat them on the fire. I know alot of these packages have a plastic coating on them which would not be good heated over a fire.

We will have plenty of clean lakes along the trip, so I did pick up one of these filtering bottles (Pristine Microbiological Filter Water Bottle)

I look forward to more meal ideas as I am always open to suggestions.

The big thing now is, how to store the food when there is not bear bag trees available. I think I will be resorting to using a pine tree to mask the potental smell of the food. (Everything will be double zip-locked as well.)

Edited by Mike & Jess
For the tinfoil tuna and other meats, I think I may repack them in actual tinfoil just incase I want to heat them on the fire. I know alot of these packages have a plastic coating on them which would not be good heated over a fire.

Not sure if re-packing them is a good idea. The minute you break the seal it's the same as opening a can.

Since they are thin, I don't think they'd need very long in a fire. Just enough to heat them through.

Not sure if re-packing them is a good idea. The minute you break the seal it's the same as opening a can.

Since they are thin, I don't think they'd need very long in a fire. Just enough to heat them through.

I'll take a look at them and see if they can go straight in the fire.

We will have plenty of clean lakes along the trip, so I did pick up one of these filtering bottles (Pristine Microbiological Filter Water Bottle)

The big thing now is, how to store the food when there is not bear bag trees available. I think I will be resorting to using a pine tree to mask the potental smell of the food. (Everything will be double zip-locked as well.)

If your bears there are any like ours here you could do numerous ziplocks and put in the trunk of a car with an entire pine tree and they'll still pick up the smell and find a way into the trunk. Around here most camping places sell various things to keep your food safe from bears. You probably can do a little search online for something like that.

If you have a lake near by & if you pack a pon or pan big enough. Why not get water from the lake & boil that & then throw these Bag foods into it to heat up?? Then you won't have to worry so much about the Plastic in there is any in the bag's. Plus, The water will be boiled to use to wash off your body if you have sweated some during your hike. Just my 2 cents.

If you have a lake near by & if you pack a pon or pan big enough. Why not get water from the lake & boil that & then throw these Bag foods into it to heat up?? Then you won't have to worry so much about the Plastic in there is any in the bag's. Plus, The water will be boiled to use to wash off your body if you have sweated some during your hike. Just my 2 cents.

Not a bad idea. We'll be camped on the shore of a lake.

Not a bad idea. We'll be camped on the shore of a lake.

You could even put Can Soups that you like in Zip Loc's & heat the same way. Be more light weigh packing the trash out. Just place them in Lock n Locks so not to get holes poked in them before you get to heat them up. If you have something as far as Left Over you have cooked at home. Place in Zip Loc's & freeze them. Heat them up for your dinner on your first nite as they should be thawed by the end of the day.