GPS help

When I switch my gps on (Garmin etrex vista) it does its usual sat search and within 5 mins I'am off huntiing. But just lately and not every time its has not been able to locate any sats, do I have a faulty gps or is it normal not to locate sats sometimes. Normally i would blame the weather but its clear blue skies most of the time.

Tom

I don't know much about the etrex, but some gps units have a demo mode. Is there any chance that this has happened on yours?

Failing that all I can suggest is leaving it out in the open with a clear sky to the South for at least half an hour or so and see if it's just needs a bit of time to sort itself out.

You can try a full reset in case the stored almanac data is corrupted. Let it track continuously for about 15 minutes after the full reset to get a new almanac.

Does it take a long time to even get one satellite? (could be hardware problem)

Or is it getting some normally and taking longer for others? (more likely corrupted data)

If you never get any satellites showing at all, your GPS SW might be corrupt. It's a common problem with Garmin devices. To check, go to Setup -> System and press the menu button. Select Software Version. If the "GPS SW Version" is "0.00", your software's corrupt. Use the WebUpdater to reload it.

have a blackberrry curve 8330, i have to copy and paste from geocaching.com in order to look for somthing. i dont know how to put the degree sign on the screen. 'my' location comes out right but when i put the co-ords in even if i put it for directions for walking it still puts me on the road. so i kinda gotta wing it for the most part. any suggestions?

i try to use google maps and it does the same thing. i dont know what to do . i dont have te money to but a GPS.

is anyone willing to donate a GPS unit that they are not using or that they just want to get rid of.

we enjoy geocaching very much. we just started as you can tell casue while i am writing this we only have 6 that we have found. we would love to do more but its hard unless there by the road. i dont know what to do. please help