Dipping

GrandJ

Dipping is dropping your coin in a cache you've found and taking it out again, and again, and again so as to reflect a certain caching trail or history you want to give it. It's best done to a coin you own or to ask the owner's permission if you don't.

You can do it retroactively but be mindful of the dates.... ie make sure you use the same date to grab the coin as you did to drop it.

Edited by Droo

How do you dip a coin retroactively?

When I go to the entry on t he log page and look at edit, t here is not option for a coin. On t he coin page the only options I have are Move to collection, write note and discover it.

I don't see anywhere where you can retroactively dip the coin.

Feeling dumb on this one.

go to the geocache page

click "found it - log it"

select the "note" log type

if you want to leave an associated message on the trackable page, do a "drop" and then a "retrieve"

(you will be asked for a message when you do the retrieve)

if you don't want/need a message, you can do the "dip" in one one step using the "visit" option

be sure to date your actions the same as your "found it" log for the geocache

if you only want to record what happend, and wish to avoid clutter on the geocache page, you can delete the log entries used to do the drop/retrieve or visit

When I go to the entry on t he log page and look at edit, t here is not option for a coin. On t he coin page the only options I have are Move to collection, write note and discover it.

I don't see anywhere where you can retroactively dip the coin.

Feeling dumb on this one.

There is no "dipping" command or action as it's just a term used to drop a coin in a cache and retrieve it immediately afterwards so the cache registers on the coin's travel page. So as Eartha suggested you can use the "visited" option (though I've not used it yet) where you may or may not be able to alter the dates or as Bhob suggested go through the regular motions of dropping a coin in a cache and retrieve it again but pay particular attention to the dates and alter them to fit your retroactive scheme.

Hope that helps.