My first real caching injury

redtech

I've had various scrapes and bruises before but this is my first real one.

We were on vacation to Myrtle Beach from Illinois and on the way back, my husband wanted to go to Charlotte to the NASCAR hall of fame. (It wasn't as lame as I expected and I even logged a cache on the Hall of Fame grounds) I checked out a couple cache's near our hotel and was doing great. Got two finds ina row, going for #3. My daughter waited in the car as we pulled up to a lamp post. I was going to lift the skirt but my daughter said it was probably in the top where there is a cover that gives access to wiring. I noticed that it had one screw missing and was rather mangled. It looked like it had been slid open and closed several times before so I thought I'd humor her and slide it open. As it started to slide, the remaining screw sheared off and it fell. My reaction was to catch it. It bounced off the concrete part of the lamp post and I impaled my hand on the rusty mangled shard of metal. Nice. It was open pretty wide! I was instantly holding a puddle of blood. My daughter wasn't really thrilled about this.

So first things first... of course, I took this picture. Then, while holding onto my bunch of napkins with that hand, I lifted the skirt and logged the cache. It was a film can. Then I found a CVS with better stuff than my limited car first aid kit could offer and patched it up. It probably could have used a stitch or two but I'm a huge wuss and didn't want to ruin the rest of our vacation. It didn't hurt too bad.

I didn't know what to do about the lamp post. I had damaged their property but it was a deserted parking lot of a movie theatre. I put the cover up on the concrete part of the post and fled.

When we got back home on Saturday, I went to the ER to get a Tetanus shot. Its looking a lot better now, but my arm really hurts from the shot.

I still think the smiley was worth it. <_<

0812101759-00.jpg

We were on vacation to Myrtle Beach from Illinois and on the way back, my husband wanted to go to Charlotte to the NASCAR hall of fame. (It wasn't as lame as I expected and I even logged a cache on the Hall of Fame grounds) I checked out a couple cache's near our hotel and was doing great. Got two finds ina row, going for #3. My daughter waited in the car as we pulled up to a lamp post. I was going to lift the skirt but my daughter said it was probably in the top where there is a cover that gives access to wiring. I noticed that it had one screw missing and was rather mangled. It looked like it had been slid open and closed several times before so I thought I'd humor her and slide it open. As it started to slide, the remaining screw sheared off and it fell. My reaction was to catch it. It bounced off the concrete part of the lamp post and I impaled my hand on the rusty mangled shard of metal. Nice. It was open pretty wide! I was instantly holding a puddle of blood. My daughter wasn't really thrilled about this.

So first things first... of course, I took this picture. Then, while holding onto my bunch of napkins with that hand, I lifted the skirt and logged the cache. It was a film can. Then I found a CVS with better stuff than my limited car first aid kit could offer and patched it up. It probably could have used a stitch or two but I'm a huge wuss and didn't want to ruin the rest of our vacation. It didn't hurt too bad.

I didn't know what to do about the lamp post. I had damaged their property but it was a deserted parking lot of a movie theatre. I put the cover up on the concrete part of the post and fled.

When we got back home on Saturday, I went to the ER to get a Tetanus shot. Its looking a lot better now, but my arm really hurts from the shot.

I still think the smiley was worth it. <_<

0812101759-00.jpg

Thats caching at its best :laughing: I had my shoulder dislocated 5 month ago, still hurts :laughing:

Edited by rogge88

that is sexy

I work uptown in Charlotte and take the train that is about a block from the NASCAR HOF. I keep meaning to go grab that cache but its too hot in the afternoon when I'm going home and in the morning I'm usualyl running late and have to get to the office.

At least that wasn't the one that bit you. I'll keep an eye out for that one.

that is sexy

I work uptown in Charlotte and take the train that is about a block from the NASCAR HOF. I keep meaning to go grab that cache but its too hot in the afternoon when I'm going home and in the morning I'm usualyl running late and have to get to the office.

At least that wasn't the one that bit you. I'll keep an eye out for that one.

Oh, I guess I could have posted the cache. :laughing:Cheap Seats

Its actually in Matthews.

I still think the smiley was worth it. :laughing:

0812101759-00.jpg

giveblood.jpg

:huh:

More injuries, cuts and scrapes than I can recall, though usually the worst are Poison Oak rashes, which seem to get worse each time. I've taken to carrying a bottle of Tecnu with me in my backpack. Used it just yesterday, too!

I was on a death march in November, 2009, where a fellow hiker split his hand open on a sharp rock, about 8 miles into the wilderness. Fortunately I had a Brave Soldier Crash-pak, from my standard road cycling kit, in my pack and was able to aminister first aid, complete with iodine wash and gauze. Which reminds me, I need to get another one of these before heading out on my next big hike.

I didn't take a picture of ripping my leg back on the 7th of July, but it was quite an impressive display of blood, too. Not exactly what I wanted, deep into bear country on my lonesome.

Edited by DragonsWest

When I went for a cache on the top of a rock last year, my nose started bleeding because I have a great fear of heights...

I was so afraid and exhausted of climbing up the rock, trough a tiny cave in the rock, up again on the other side and then the whole way down.

And since then my nose keeps bleeding :laughing:

But I found a T5 cache - and that counts :huh:

not too many injuries other than the usual bites and scratches - we did get chased by a bull the other day - which could have been bad if we hadn't managed to jump a dyke to get out of its way. But on the good note - my husband is a Paramedic and carries a good kit (including morphine) and I am an EMT training to be a surgeon so we are pretty well equipped.