Magellan Triton? Garmin Colorado?

markammix

We are new to Geocaching but very excited to get started. I purchased a Garmin Etrex Venture HC and have had no problems with it, hiking, traveling etc.

We are exploring options for paperless caching and I found that the Magellan Triton and the Garmin Colorado lines have been greatly reduced in price. I do recall having read of some issues with these models when I was researching my previous purchase. My question is even with the issues, would the Magellan Triton 400 be a worthwhile purchase as a secondary GPSr and paperless caching tool at approx $120. The Colorado is a bit higher priced but still a decent deal if it isn't too buggy or difficult due to it's issues. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I have a pda and have used it for paperless, but if the Magellan Triton is worth it's price at $120 then I might consider it just for ease of use by my 10 year old.

Else I will continue with the PDA paperless until we are more actively participating then make a more significant purchase.

Thanks in advance!

We are so eager to get started, just waiting for cooler weather.

I cant comment on the Triton, although last I heard still pretty buggy, but that is hearsay

As for the Colorado, the only negative it has is that its discontinued...With all the updates it got Id say it turned out to be one of the best you can get to be honest. If you can find any model under $200 its worth it for sure. They still release updates for them, but could stop at any time

I cant comment on the Triton, although last I heard still pretty buggy, but that is hearsay

As for the Colorado, the only negative it has is that its discontinued...With all the updates it got Id say it turned out to be one of the best you can get to be honest. If you can find any model under $200 its worth it for sure. They still release updates for them, but could stop at any time

We have a Colorado, I'd recommend it with one exception. If you get one with an electronic compass built-in (like our Colorado 300), turn the compass off. The 2D compass causes more problems then it solves. We also have an eTrex Venture HC that we still go into the field with. With two GPS's we can read the description on the Colorado while still navigating with the eTrex. And sometimes one GPS is more accurate then the other in tree cover, it kind of flips between the two.

Edited by ocm_ott

We have a Colorado, I'd recommend it with one exception. If you get one with an electronic compass built-in (like our Colorado 300), turn the compass off. The 2D compass causes more problems then it solves.

I'll respectfully disagree with this.

IF you calibrate the compass when you change batteries (every time you change batteries) and are running a recent firmware, the compass works just fine. I disable it for my "automotive" profile and leave it active for my geocaching (walking) profile. Points at the cache every time. Using a Colorado 400t as my primary GPS.

IF you calibrate the compass when you change batteries (every time you change batteries) and are running a recent firmware, the compass works just fine. I disable it for my "automotive" profile and leave it active for my geocaching (walking) profile. Points at the cache every time. Using a Colorado 400t as my primary GPS.

Totally agree with you NP, I always use the compass feature and find it very helpful. It only takes 15-20 seconds to calibrate after replacing the batteries and works well. If you ever think it is questionable or acting up while in the field, just run another quick calibration on it.

Totally agree with you NP, I always use the compass feature and find it very helpful. It only takes 15-20 seconds to calibrate after replacing the batteries and works well. If you ever think it is questionable or acting up while in the field, just run another quick calibration on it.

I agree completely with the both of you and do just as the two of you have metioned. Even if I feel that my compass is acting up at all I take the few seconds in an open area and recalibrate it. You won't believe how much better the compass is once you recal it. I generally recal it at the beginning of every outing.

Now I bought my Coloado just a few months ago but have had zero issues with it. I use to have a 60 CSX that I lost in a cave in WA (somebody got a sweet present that year). And a friend of mine had an Oregon and an Etrex C I think it was. I absolutely hated the Oregon and used the Etrex over the Oregon for almost a year before I broke down and bought the Colorado. Like I said, I have had no issues with my Colorado. My next GPS will be the 62ST. It combines the best of the Colorado and the 60 CSX. Best of luck!

Edited by CACHE KRAWLER

I've been using a Colorado for 2 1/2 years, only complaint I have is I wish it had a touch-screen interface (but I'm not interested in switching to an Oregon).

I've stuck with the 3.0 firmware, as I'm not interested in BirdsEye.

Well worth the price of admission! And I got mine when they were brand new, for $500.