Picking a GPS?

I've recently started Geocaching and I really enjoy it so I'd like to continue to do it. I need a GPS to do this though.

The two i have been looking at are: 'Garmin eTrex H' or

'Garmin Gmaps 60csx'

I have looked up some reviews and prices but I havent found the info I was looking for. I have rang shops but none of them sell Handhelds, just car/bike ones.

Does anyone have any suggestions for these two or a better GPS for a good price. I will basically use this for Geocaching & I am out on boats alot so it would need to be able to pick up my location on sea :unsure:

It would need 12 satelites? ( are these called channels? sorry im a complete newbie when it comes to this stuff :S )

Thanks a lot :blink::D

Catherine

The 60CSX is a lot better. It uses a USB cable, has a color screen, better interface and you can load maps to it.

Great thanks very much :unsure: ive been looking at prices on Amazon & Pixmania. Do you know any other sites that do good prices on GPS's?

Thanks for the help :blink:

Return policies are a rather important consideration.

www.tigergps.com is another pretty good site for this stuff, check it out too.

The 60CSx is worlds better than the Etrex H, and cost about twice as much too so there you go. Of those two, if you can afford the 60CSx then by all means grab it. The only thing (IMO) it is lacking is the ability to "paperless geocache" but other than that it is a great machine.

And yep I believe 12 channel is same as 12 satellite capability, if you see those sorts of things mentioned in advertising. Most all currently-for-sale units are 12 channel capable.

www.tigergps.com is another pretty good site for this stuff, check it out too.

The 60CSx is worlds better than the Etrex H, and cost about twice as much too so there you go. Of those two, if you can afford the 60CSx then by all means grab it. The only thing (IMO) it is lacking is the ability to "paperless geocache" but other than that it is a great machine.

And yep I believe 12 channel is same as 12 satellite capability, if you see those sorts of things mentioned in advertising. Most all currently-for-sale units are 12 channel capable.

Great, thanks. I will have a look at the site and compare prices & stuff. Thanks very much for the info :unsure:

I have a 60csx. I got mine recently but have been using them for years. They, as most garmins are, very reliable and well constructed. The 60csx is pretty easy to use and relatively snappy when switching from screen to screen. I have no regrets about my purchase overall.

That being said, there are two things that you should consider:

1) The 60csx has a maximum limit of 1000 geocaches that it can store at once. That's either a TON or not enough depending on how long you're away from the computer and how you intend to use it

2) The 60csx IS NOT paperless. That means you'll have to find some other way to carry hints, description, and last log finds. This may include printing, a PDA, or some work-arounds involving GSAK/loading points of interest. There are tons of threads on going semi-paperless with the 60csx but it has its limits.

Many of the newer units support paperless caching by design.

Those are the two specific things regarding the 60csx and geocaching. As far as boating, all units will generally do fine. Because you're out on the water you rarely have any overhead obstructions so getting a position fix is no big deal (I've sailed with various GPS units). If you're looking for more like marine charts, interfacing with a laptop, etc, then more research is probably needed.

I have a 60csx. I got mine recently but have been using them for years. They, as most garmins are, very reliable and well constructed. The 60csx is pretty easy to use and relatively snappy when switching from screen to screen. I have no regrets about my purchase overall.

1) The 60csx has a maximum limit of 1000 geocaches that it can store at once. That's either a TON or not enough depending on how long you're away from the computer and how you intend to use it

2) The 60csx IS NOT paperless. That means you'll have to find some other way to carry hints, description, and last log finds. This may include printing, a PDA, or some work-arounds involving GSAK/loading points of interest. There are tons of threads on going semi-paperless with the 60csx but it has its limits.

Those are the two specific things regarding the 60csx and geocaching. As far as boating, all units will generally do fine. Because you're out on the water you rarely have any overhead obstructions so getting a position fix is no big deal (I've sailed with various GPS units). If you're looking for more like marine charts, interfacing with a laptop, etc, then more research is probably needed.

I will have a look into the paperless & such.

Also 1000 caches should be plenty for me as I am on the pc a lot. ( nerd alert.. :unsure: )

I will continue to research the 60csx as it seems the better GPS of the two.

Thanks for the info, I really appreciate it :blink:

No problem, the 60csx is sitting right here so if you come up with other questions, post them up.

If not me, someone will surely have the answer.

You should also look into GSAK www.gsak.net

It goes great with the 60csx, as does getting a premium membership from geocaching.com

No problem, the 60csx is sitting right here so if you come up with other questions, post them up.

If not me, someone will surely have the answer.

You should also look into GSAK www.gsak.net

It goes great with the 60csx, as does getting a premium membership from geocaching.com

thanks :unsure: is it waterproof? more than an occassional splash. More like a good few dunks in the water.. I tend to drop things.. A lot. :b

The 60CSx is a great product. I use it in conjunction with a Dell Axim 5 PDA that I purchased used from Used Handhelds. The combo makes me paperless. GSAK is great software, I recommend it. If you use a PDA then get Cachemate software for $8 at smittyware.com.

The 60CSx is water resistant (IEC-529, IPX7) Protected against water immersion. Immersion for 30 minutes at a depth of 1 meter.

The 60CSx is a great product. I use it in conjunction with a Dell Axim 5 PDA that I purchased used from Used Handhelds. The combo makes me paperless. GSAK is great software, I recommend it. If you use a PDA then get Cachemate software for $8 at smittyware.com.

The 60CSx is water resistant (IEC-529, IPX7) Protected against water immersion. Immersion for 30 minutes at a depth of 1 meter.

Deadly :unsure: thanks, I will look into the software & other stuff

Hello Mainsheet! Do you know if the new Magellan Explorist GC which is advertised as seamless with www.gc.com is completely paperless as you describe?? Are you able to see the current logs and such on the WWW.gc.com website with the Explorist GC?

Thanks,

-stedyone

First the caveats:

1) I am not an expert on Magellan's as I haven't owned one :blink:

2) Even though it's redundant, I don't own the Explorist GC.

That being said. I looked at magellan's website:

http://www.magellangps.com/exploristgc/#1

And it looks like it has a pretty solid set of features and does support paperless caching (meaning it can download the hints, description, past logs, etc) and it says it can store up to 10,000 geocaches.

Any unit you get you'll want to get a premium membership because it gives you pocket queries which allows you download tons of caches at once based on criteria you pick. I've always been a garmin fan, but it looks like a nice unit. Perhaps someone who has direct experience will chime in :P

Edited by mainsheet

Jagged,

I notice (locally) that there are periodic cacher events. I would think it be true of NC also. I'm sure you could get together with some locals and try out several different GPS units and see what you like. Most mentioned in this thread are commonly used GPS units. You could actually see one(or several) in action in the field.

Jagged,

I notice (locally) that there are periodic cacher events. I would think it be true of NC also. I'm sure you could get together with some locals and try out several different GPS units and see what you like. Most mentioned in this thread are commonly used GPS units. You could actually see one(or several) in action in the field.

Thanks for the tip, :rolleyes: I'll look into it. Thanks :huh:

I just got me a fancy new Oregon 550. Pricey, but sweet. It's supports paperless caching and is great for girls who like colorful touchscreen buttons and "you'd have to be an idiot not to be able to figure this thing out" type of interface. My husband has the 60CSx, which I've also used. The compass on the Oregon seems a little more sluggish compared to the 60CSx, but the Oregon gives me the whole cache description, the last 4 or 5 logs, the hint, etc., so no more printing out endless reams of paper and flipping through that infernal 3-ring binder I used. As far as accuracy, they both seem about the same and are both pretty much dead on- but then again, the cords are only as accurate as the cache owner, so take it with a grain of salt. We also have an old Etrex we never use, but it doesn't even begin to compare to the Oregon or the 60CSx- might as well be on different planets.