Removing the junk, adding better stuff?

CamoChimp

Forgive me if this is covered somewhere, I am (we are) new to geocaching.

I was wondering...I have come across some caches that have absolute trash in them. Some even damaged. Is it proper etiquette to replenish a cache with new stuff and toss the yukky stuff? I am talking about damaged stickers, expired coupons, plastic McDonalds toys, etc. I know some kids (including my own) would like some of those toys but they have been very dirty and buggy. I'd love to replace some of the toys with new things. But, I totally want to follow the rules and won't do it if this is not acceptable.

Forgive me if this is covered somewhere, I am (we are) new to geocaching.

I was wondering...I have come across some caches that have absolute trash in them. Some even damaged. Is it proper etiquette to replenish a cache with new stuff and toss the yukky stuff? I am talking about damaged stickers, expired coupons, plastic McDonalds toys, etc. I know some kids (including my own) would like some of those toys but they have been very dirty and buggy. I'd love to replace some of the toys with new things. But, I totally want to follow the rules and won't do it if this is not acceptable.

It would be a wonderful gesture, but is not a requirement. The standard traders mantra is "trade even or trade up" so as long as you are improving the cache contents you are good to go.

Edited by GOF's Sock Puppet

Is it proper etiquette to replenish a cache with new stuff and toss the yukky stuff?

Yes. Just by clearing out the debris, you do everyone a favor. But if you suspect that it's been found and being picked-through by non-cachers, don't leave anything particularly nice for them. A clean, dry container with a clean, dry log is also a treasure to many cachers. Edited by kunarion