Garmin 1:24k maps - dvd vs sd card

donc

What are the advantages disadvantages of getting the DVD vs the SD card? I don't need the extra data on the DVD so that's not an advantage. I'm looking at using a 60 csx or 62s.

- is one more reliable in the field

- if I load from the dvd, does it go into internal memory or an SD card?

- if internal memory, I assume it would be faster than if the data were on an SD card

- if I want to load custom maps, do they go into internal memory or an SD card - how would this conflict with data loaded from the dvd

Any other thoughts appreciated.

What are the advantages disadvantages of getting the DVD vs the SD card? I don't need the extra data on the DVD so that's not an advantage. I'm looking at using a 60 csx or 62s.

- is one more reliable in the field

- if I load from the dvd, does it go into internal memory or an SD card?

- if internal memory, I assume it would be faster than if the data were on an SD card

- if I want to load custom maps, do they go into internal memory or an SD card - how would this conflict with data loaded from the dvd

Any other thoughts appreciated.

- Once the DVD data is on the card I don't see why there would be a difference in reliability

- Loading from DVD it goes into the card for a 60 not sure on the 62s since it has plenty of internal memory and can use a card. I'll guess card.

- Not sure about faster on internal memory. SD cards can be pretty fast.

- Custom maps on the 60 will go on the card. You combine custom maps with your 24k maps in mapsource before downloading. Not sure about the 62s.

I believe the pre-loaded SD cards are not writable so that can be an issue.

Edited by jholly
The 24K maps are not locked to a single unit. Now most people don't have as many GPS units laying around as me, but there are folks out there with multiple receivers, so I thought I should mention it. Also, you'll be able to use the maps on MapSource for trip planning.

I love using the 24K on Mapsource to plan. I am headed out on a long trip (CA, NV, ID, MT, UT, NM, AZ) so if I had the multiple 24K cards I would have to change them with location. Also with DVD you write what you want to the card and still have room for Birdsye.

How are the Township Range and sections displayed on the maps???

Do they show section lines similar to a USGS quad with the section number in the middle of the section???

I tried to find map views on the Garmin site but didn't see anything very detailed.

Thanks.

You would want this for PLLS display: LINK

How are the Township Range and sections displayed on the maps???

Do they show section lines similar to a USGS quad with the section number in the middle of the section???

I tried to find map views on the Garmin site but didn't see anything very detailed.

Thanks.

You would want this for PLLS display: LINK

Thanks for the link, I'll give it a try.

Added 4G micro SD card to load most of the US 24K topos. 60Cx said it was full but card had over 2G of open space left, called Garmin, they said you can load only 2200 topo maps no matter how much space you have on SD card.

Edited by david686

Added 4G micro SD card to load most of the US 24K topos. 60Cx said it was full but card had over 2G of open space left, called Garmin, they said you can load only 2200 topo maps no matter how much space you have on SD card.

There are segment limits and total size limits. Software upgrades during the past year have increased the usable card size (to 4Gb) on some models, however the segment limit is still 2200 on those units. Most newer models have a 4000 (one poster said 3860?) segment limit and 'unlimited' card size. Garmin has decreased the number of segments on at least one of their products so more of the mapset can be loaded within the segment limit, however that makes them less usable or unusable on the units with only 24Mb of internal memory. A world of trade-offs.

Edited by snowfleurys

You'll need to load the latest firmware into your 60Cx before it'll be able to use all of a 4GB card. (google Garmin Webupdater)

Voice of experience; I just had to do that a few days ago. Bought some maps on a 4GB card, and they wouldn't load because my 60Cx wouldn't read past the 2GB line. After I updated to firmware 4.0 I was able to use the maps, and the update didn't break anything as far as I can tell.

Edited by Viajero Perdido