Interfering with a Mystery Cache

SooMukwas

We have a mystery cache that involves having to find another certian cache to obtain part of the co-ordinates that will lead you to the final. Recently, I have received a few e-mails inquiring if they were looking in the right place for those co-ordinates. I replied to them all that they were at the right place and that they probably just overlooked them.

Well, after checking out the cache for myself, it seems as if some shidiot has gone and removed the co-ordinates from the cache. I don't know what kind of jollies they get out of doing that or if they have some kind of ill will towards us Mukwas, but keep in mind they are also ruining every other cacher's experience too.

The cache has been fixed with the help of a kind, fellow cacher and hopefully the party pooper has crawled back to whatever rock they hide under.

Anyone have any similar things happen to their caches?

On a happier note, it has almost been one year since we joined this sport and community and we thank everyone for all the fun times and adventures you have provided us with your great hides and caches!

Well, that sucks that someone would tamper with the cache like that.

It does happen though - I had a night cache with reflectors, and an ammo can suspended in the trees with pulleys and cable. Showed up for a maintenance visit and the entire cache - ammo can, pulleys, cable and every reflector leading up to it was gone. Determined muggles eh. I archived the cache, as it took a bunch of us to assemble it the first time.

When I have required info in a cache, I usually write it on the lid as well as in the log book. This prevents someone accidentally taking the info.

Is it possible they took it by mistake?

Good idea about writing it on the lid, thanks! As far as it being taken by mistake, I don't think that was the case. It was on the log book and only the part with the co-ords on it was torn off.

With many people, one has to be very careful with word usage... get, obtain, etc. can easily be taken as directed solely to the person reading the instruction... Some forget there are others playing the game...

we had one person who was convinced the cache was solely for him and collected it... so much for the others that had signed the log and put it back... he was corrected... also had taken the time to rehide it several hundred kilometers a way... another misconception that was corrected, in time!

Doug 7rxc

I wonder if some took it thinking they were supposed to. Were there instructions in the cache or one the paper not to remove it?

I am trying to be vague about which cache it is and what other caches are involved, but I only have 22 caches so you might be able to figure it out. But, common sense would make you think that others like to go geocaching too so you would leave the only set of co-ords with the cache, eh, hehe! :)

When I have required info in a cache, I usually write it on the lid as well as in the log book. This prevents someone accidentally taking the info.

Is it possible they took it by mistake?

Good idea about writing it on the lid, thanks! As far as it being taken by mistake, I don't think that was the case. It was on the log book and only the part with the co-ords on it was torn off.

well, doesn't sound intentional in the sense of destroying your cache, it sounds like it may have been someone that had no pen or other means to record the coordinates, still not the right thing to do, they could have emailed you and explain the situation and ask for the coordinates

on caches like this, would be a good idea to just print a bunch of notes, put them in a ziplock so people may take one with them

Edited by t4e

I wonder if some took it thinking they were supposed to. Were there instructions in the cache or one the paper not to remove it?

I am trying to be vague about which cache it is and what other caches are involved, but I only have 22 caches so you might be able to figure it out. But, common sense would make you think that others like to go geocaching too so you would leave the only set of co-ords with the cache, eh, hehe! :)

If it's the cache I think it is, this person tore the last page out of the logbook. OTOH I've seen people do that sort of thing to write down a trackable number left behind, the thought being take the last page and it's unlikely to have logs/critical info on it. Note - I don't sanction such a thing but I've seen others do it. They may not even realize they removed the coords until they got home and read their new 'note' to themselves.

....... it sounds like it may have been someone that had no pen or other means to record the coordinates.......

They could just record them in their GPS.

i am well aware of that, but some people though are not very familiar with their GPS and entering waypoints manually

it is a possibility, and what i am getting at is that it doesn't necessarily indicate someone did it in purpose

i like to give people the benefit of the doubt in the absence of any proof indicating otherwise

I appreciate your desire to be diplomatic, but the logbook consists of a solitary piece of rolled up paper. The only portion that was taken was a small strip that held the coords. This wasn't a 'need for note taking' scenario. The removed portion is tiny and would already be written on, they took the coords. Now was it malicious or not, hard to say (but I wish I thought of doing that to the SooMukwas, lol).

I appreciate your desire to be diplomatic, but the logbook consists of a solitary piece of rolled up paper. The only portion that was taken was a small strip that held the coords. This wasn't a 'need for note taking' scenario. The removed portion is tiny and would already be written on, they took the coords. Now was it malicious or not, hard to say (but I wish I thought of doing that to the SooMukwas, lol).

huh? that piece of paper contained the coordinates you will need later for the final, how is not a "note taking issue"?

Anyone just going to this cache would have no idea what the co-ords are for. Many have done this cache and have had to later come back because of finding out it may be involved in solving a mystery cache. So, maybe someone without knowing what the co-ords were for, decided to rip them off and save for a future day to see if they have any meaning?

Flintstone5611, I will fong you just for uttering that you would do such a thing! :anibad:

huh? that piece of paper contained the coordinates you will need later for the final, how is not a "note taking issue"?

As in " I need to make a note so I will take this paper".

that's exactly what i said all along too :rolleyes:

but w/e i'm going to have a drink to celebrate solving 5 puzzles today :anibad: