Oregon 450 screen scratches

I unfortunately managed to get 4 short little scratches on my 450 yesterday, and i have been doing a lot of looking up on how i might be able to remove or polish them. They are whitish in colour and i can feel them with my fingernail. I thought at first i may be able to polish them out, but from searching internet, polishing is not good for a matte screen, as it may make it glossy (shiny).

Now i dont mind it being somewhat glossy in the area where the scratch is (they are not long, less than 6mm length) and putting a screen protector over it to prevent future scratches, but i am worried that polishing may affect the touch screen as well, (i have seen a few posts from people saying you shouldn't polish touchscreen)

Has anyone else managed to fix scratches on their Oregon gps (or even make them less noticeable)

I unfortunately managed to get 4 short little scratches on my 450 yesterday, and i have been doing a lot of looking up on how i might be able to remove or polish them. They are whitish in colour and i can feel them with my fingernail. I thought at first i may be able to polish them out, but from searching internet, polishing is not good for a matte screen, as it may make it glossy (shiny).

Now i dont mind it being somewhat glossy in the area where the scratch is (they are not long, less than 6mm length) and putting a screen protector over it to prevent future scratches, but i am worried that polishing may affect the touch screen as well, (i have seen a few posts from people saying you shouldn't polish touchscreen)

Has anyone else managed to fix scratches on their Oregon gps (or even make them less noticeable)

For those of you with Oregons, don't use them without screen protectors! You can't buff out the scratches or it damages the touchscreen.

There is hope though. I have come across Oregon touchscreen displays, not for the 450 though, on eBay for $30-$40. It would require that you disassemble your unit which is not too difficult.

Edited by jeepdelfuego

Good to know. That also brings on a question; if a 450 screen were available would it work in the 400t also?

Thanks for the replies lads. I wonder if those replacement screens are genuine, or knockoff of the real thing. Either way i am interested in getting one. I am gonna throw the ebay seller a message soon asking have they got 450 screens in stock

Edit: Has anyone seen any good instuction site or video on disassembling Garmin Oregon gps ?

Edited by Takeshi_Kovacs

Good to know. That also brings on a question; if a 450 screen were available would it work in the 400t also?

Thanks for the replies lads. I wonder if those replacement screens are genuine, or knockoff of the real thing. Either way i am interested in getting one. I am gonna throw the ebay seller a message soon asking have they got 450 screens in stock

Edit: Has anyone seen any good instuction site or video on disassembling Garmin Oregon gps ?

I took one apart quite some time ago. I followed the instructions on a Youtube video. I tried searching for the video just now and I couldn't find it. The only hard part was the cable. I remember having problems putting it back on, but it is still working a year and a half later.