Corrupt .gpx file can't be removed

Hi,

A week after I got my Oregon 300 I have one .gpx file that can't be removed due to an invalid filename. The file is places in the folder \Garmin\GPX. On startup it takes about 10 seconds to get past this file. Another Orgeon 300 starts significantly faster.

Since this is a system folder I can't format the mass storage drive. I've tried several Windows and Linux tools without any luck. I've reset all settings, logs and did a factory default reset. But the file still exists. Any advise? Garmin isn't much of a help. :D

2usap94.jpg

Hi,

A week after I got my Oregon 300 I have one .gpx file that can't be removed due to an invalid filename. The file is places in the folder \Garmin\GPX. On startup it takes about 10 seconds to get past this file. Another Orgeon 300 starts significantly faster.

Since this is a system folder I can't format the mass storage drive. I've tried several Windows and Linux tools without any luck. I've reset all settings, logs and did a factory default reset. But the file still exists. Any advise? Garmin isn't much of a help. :D

2usap94.jpg

Did you try renaming it first?

I have the same issue. Can't remove, can't rename. I tried master reset with no luck, I did a cmd to remove GPX files, it removed all but this guy. I'm not brave enough to try reformating the unit. I just live with the file there. I've seen no effect from it that I can tell. I don't like having it, but all is functioning ok, so I guess I'm stuck with it.

I've had that happen 3 times on my Oregon 400t. The first time I was able to just delete it, the second time it took the Total Commander program to get the job done...and the 3rd time nothing seemed to work. I e-mailed my second oldest...who is a software engineer and he suggested the following. (Assuming you are working with a PC) Connect the Oregon to the PC in Mass Storage Mode, then:

1. Open a command prompt (Start > All Programs > Accessories > Command Prompt).

2. Change to the GPS drive (mine is J:) and "cd" to the directory with the messed up file.

3. Type "dir /x" (without the quotes)

4. The resulting directory list will have a column with the "old school" 8.3 version of each file name.

5. Make a note of the 8.3 file name associated with your stored errored GPX file. Say its @%$2(1-+.gpx

6. Type "delete @%$2(1-+..GPX" (without the quotes).

It worked for me...hope it does the same for you - good luck.

Bill

In the 'run' mode = Dos commands it works only if you can actually type the letters.

It might come off a virus, try your virusscanner.

Splashy...that is correct...you cannot type the "goofy" errored characters that were automatically/randomly stored in the OP's Oregon; however, when typing the "dir /x" command...the Old School DOS 8.3 version will assign characters (in that second column) that you can type from a normal QWERTY keyboard....and that's the file that you want to delete. IF it works...both .gpx files will be erased/deleted.

Bill

Edited by 2Wheel'in

If the name is long the response might be a couple of spaces (blanks).

Is there a way to solve this in Dos?

I no longer have my last "errored .gpx" in file...I had saved it for awhile, but I do recall it was not nearly as long a character string as the OP's. DOS will automatically create a new string of characters for the .gpx file when the "dir /x" command is entered. (That new string of characters (the .gpx file name) will appear in a second column of the directory). I do not know if that new file had spaces in it...I just typed the DEL command for the new .gpx file...and it deleted both .gpx files from my Oregon drive.

As an aside...I have never experienced this "auto-generated bad .gpx anomaly" with my Oregon 550t...it seems to only occur on the Oregon X00 receivers.

Bill

I think in my second column it had an AandE stuck together back to back and a spade symbol instead of an AandE and a square like in my 400t.

I didn't know how to type in these symbols. Is there a way?

Would running a disk error check work on the unit like myostis suggested?

My bet is it is a disk error from disconnecting from the computer too soon. If it is, checking the disk for errors will remove the file.

Right click on the drive, select properties, tools, error checking.

I had the same problem in the past and this fixed it.

I think in my second column it had an AandE stuck together back to back and a spade symbol instead of an AandE and a square like in my 400t.

EraSeek....whew, if those "goofy" characters also appear in the 2nd column then I think you're dead in the water...I know of no way to select/type those symbols.

I hope that myostis's "disk check" works...if it happens to me again (knock wood) I'll give that a try.

Bill

EraSeek....whew, if those "goofy" characters also appear in the 2nd column then I think you're dead in the water...I know of no way to select/type those symbols.

I hope that myostis's "disk check" works...if it happens to me again (knock wood) I'll give that a try.

Bill

Well that didn't work. I selected both options on the disk check and hit start. It said Phase 1, and all options greyed out. Nothing happened on the progress bar or otherwise for 45 mins, so I tried to exit by cancel,. No go. By "x"ing out, no go. By safe disconect, no go. Nothing would proceed or let me out, so I pulled the cord on the GPS, and then hit the kill button on the laptop. I restarted all and all appears to be the same as before. Apparently no damage. Guess I'll just live with it and not be so fussy.

Ctrl + (Alphabet) for special characters. For example, Ctrl+F might show up like "^F" but it's actually a spade symbol.

If it ends with gpx, you can delete it by issuing the dos command

DEL *.gpx

and it will delete all files in the current folder that ends with that.

Goto the right directory first.

E.g. If I have a file named

תּ8ÚŒ.gpx

in the "R:\gpx\crap" folder, in dos I type in "R:" to get to the R: drive and then "cd gpx/crap" to get into the gpx/crap folder, then "del *.gpx" to delete all the gpx files in there including the stubborn one.

Have you checked if it's read-only yet, or has no allow permissions in windows? Dos consoles since XP are subject to windows security settings.

None of the tools worked so far. Being an IT professional I've tried all possible tools. Problems is with the illegal unicode characters. They can't be changed by some commandline tools because these tools don't know this kind of characters. Tried different code pages because of the chinese characters. Tried recovery tools in DOS, Windows and Linux without any luck. Renaming is impossible, deleting the entire folder results in an error, changing the first character in block mode to a question mark (default for deleted files in FAT) doesn't work.

All works fine however, only startup takes a 20 extra seconds. The problems was created by a firmware update after automatic reboot, not disconnecting the unit while writing files. I think only thing left is the formatting of the unit. Fingers crossed.

Sounds like you have a disk error. If error check will not work, there is something more serious wrong than just that file. Reboot and try the disk check again.

Bill

Well that didn't work. I selected both options on the disk check and hit start. It said Phase 1, and all options greyed out. Nothing happened on the progress bar or otherwise for 45 mins, so I tried to exit by cancel,. No go. By "x"ing out, no go. By safe disconect, no go. Nothing would proceed or let me out, so I pulled the cord on the GPS, and then hit the kill button on the laptop. I restarted all and all appears to be the same as before. Apparently no damage. Guess I'll just live with it and not be so fussy.