the first time...

gerardantens

Yes, you enter in the coordinates by hand for the next stage of the cache. It might be a good idea to try an easy single stage cache for your first one. Just a suggestion. :)

Thanks. This means the "download" only means the download of the first waypoint? A bit of a disappointment. Is it wise and possible to make a track with the additional waypoints? It seams impossible to adjust the downloaded geocache. But what's the use of the geocache-download (except for some extra data)..

It sounds like you were attacking a "multi-cache" as your 1st target. Yep only the 1st stage is loaded into your GPS receiver, the remaining stages have to be entered by you, and that is really the point of a multi-cache. Sometimes they make you work by having you solve a problem or unravel a clue in order to get the 2nd set of coordinates (or 3rd, or 4th!!)

Don't try to edit the 1st set of coordinates when doing a multi-cache. Create a new waypoint for each subsequent hop and key the next coordinates into that.

Some Multi caches will have the additional waypoints for each stage, some don't.

I second the suggestion to start with the Traditional type of cache to start with.

Last night I inlisted the additional waypoints and made a special route for it. I have two questions:

1. Do I have to work with two different files now? (the downloaded geocache with WP1/ the homemade additional route) or should I make a total route with WP1 included? This would make my download pretty useless...

2. I read about "paperless caching" and understand the idea. However: I presume you still have to write down answers to the several answers? And: When I read the coordinates in the downloaded file, I'll have to create a new WP. I can't copy the coordinates, can I? This means I'll have to write them down first (unless I printed or inlisted them before), as I can't remember them by my poor memory,... so what's the use of paperless caching... any good suggestions?

,... so what's the use of paperless caching... any good suggestions?

For traditionals with one set of coordinates, paperless caching works well. But for multis and puzzles you will often need to write things down in the field as you go along. That's how multis work, you get to stage one to find stage 2 and onwards...

Get yourself a little notebook and carry it in your caching bag. It will be invaluable.

Even in traditionals you often get series where each cache has a clue or part coordinate for a bonus at the end. You can't store these clues or part coordinates in a gps (although you could on a PDA), so you are going to need to write them down.

We have done series where each traditional cache holding part of the clue to the bonus is miles away from the others, meaning you'll never get round them in a day. Some have taken us months to get round all the individual caches. Then at the end you put all the clues or part coordinates together to go find the bonus, which could be anywhere.

The bonus is listed either as an 'unknown' or 'multi' cache.

You will need your book to keep a track of all the clues - keep one page for each series - so that after you have collected all the individual parts you can go to your book and put all the bits together to go find the bonus.

Paperless caching will never be a complete reality while there are people putting out these interesting, entertaining and sometimes challenging series. I love them.

Thread title says it all -- (the first time...)

Take a step, fall. Get up, wobble, take another step, again, fall. Crawl on hands and knees, get up -- three steps, fall again.

From your post, it sounds like you have what you need, but you may well expect too much immediately. It ain't gonna happen.

Geocaching is easy as walking -- but you gotta learn how, first. It's not that you can jump into it and know everything in one day, and I ain't even talking about using a GPSr (that's something else you gotta learn to use -- just like learning to walk). To make it all the better, the GPSr is not the end-all, do-everything component that you may think it is. You still have to use the gray matter.

1) Wear out some batteries with it. Get to know what it will/won't do -- BEFORE expecting everything to arrive on a silver platter just because you have one!

2) As others have stated, start simple. There is a lot to read about and learn of geocaching, just in the website alone -- lots more in books. Stick with traditional caches for the first few anyway. Then work your way into multis or puzzles -- more work, but more fun(?)/satisfaction.

3) Find a local Event cache. Lots of people there that are more than willing to help. Face-to-face instructions and hints are really tough to beat. Besides, you get to meet up with other cachers!

4) Make some mistakes. You HAVE to. If you never make a mistake, you can never learn anything. :P

Thread title says it all -- (the first time...)

Take a step, fall. Get up, wobble, take another step, again, fall. Crawl on hands and knees, get up -- three steps, fall again.

From your post, it sounds like you have what you need, but you may well expect too much immediately. It ain't gonna happen.

Geocaching is easy as walking -- but you gotta learn how, first. It's not that you can jump into it and know everything in one day, and I ain't even talking about using a GPSr (that's something else you gotta learn to use -- just like learning to walk). To make it all the better, the GPSr is not the end-all, do-everything component that you may think it is. You still have to use the gray matter.

1) Wear out some batteries with it. Get to know what it will/won't do -- BEFORE expecting everything to arrive on a silver platter just because you have one!

2) As others have stated, start simple. There is a lot to read about and learn of geocaching, just in the website alone -- lots more in books. Stick with traditional caches for the first few anyway. Then work your way into multis or puzzles -- more work, but more fun(?)/satisfaction.

3) Find a local Event cache. Lots of people there that are more than willing to help. Face-to-face instructions and hints are really tough to beat. Besides, you get to meet up with other cachers!

4) Make some mistakes. You HAVE to. If you never make a mistake, you can never learn anything. :P

Thanks to all of you for these usefull answers!!! Two last small questions, before I will use all of them on my vacation...

*Is the direction towards waypoints always a straight line? This means I'll have to find my own paths (which is great fun, of course; but I want to know if there are alternatives)

*Is there a possibility/ website where I can download pre-programmed routes (from path to path)

*Is the direction towards waypoints always a straight line? This means I'll have to find my own paths (which is great fun, of course; but I want to know if there are alternatives)

The arrow will always point towards the cache -As the crow flies.

It's up to you to find a way. There may be a river, or canyon!, between you and the cache.

Remember. Cache safe! Don't follow the arrow blindly.

*Is there a possibility/ website where I can download pre-programmed routes (from path to path)

You don't say where you are.

Different countries have websites for their countries.

ie In the UK there is http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/maps/ But if you're not in the UK, it's not a lot of use to you!

If you add location to your profile it helps everyone know.

These forums (and Geocaching) are International!

Doesn't have to be exact, county/state is OK.

As Bear and Ragged pointed out, the GPSr arrow points in a straight line to the cache "as the crow flies". But geocachers are not crows, and we generally do not fly. It's up to you to find a good route to the cache.

I found one cache that was about 50' off the trail, with no poison oak near the cache or along the short walk between the trail and the cache. When I read other geocachers' logs, some of them mentioned bushwacking a quarter mile or more through poison oak. Basically, they followed the arrow at the first sharp bend of the trail, and walked in a straight line to the cache. They were never more than a few hundred feet from the trail as it followed the contour of the terrain, but they made things much more difficult for themselves by following the arrow rather than following the trail.