Hog Weed

there are no chemicals, the only thing that causes the histamine release, thus producing a burning sensation. is the formic acid...you will not die from it nor will you have any ill effects from it, except the mentioned temporary burning feeling

Um... you said there are no chemicals and then listed two specific chemicals. :D:):(

Histamine is a chemical. Formic acid is a chemical. Stinging nettles also deliver a chemical called acetylcholine.

I've also heard that stinging nettles contain a particularly sinister and dangerous chemical called dihydrous monoxide. Seriously! Dangerous! Stuff! It's killed thousands, if not MILLIONS of people!!!

Anyway, stinging nettles are pretty cool plants. I still wish I hadn't walked through them with shorts on, and there are a lot more stinging nettles around here than the giant hogweed everyone's currently panicking about.

I'd panic about poison ivy too, but I don't seem to react to its problematic chemical, urushiol.

I've also heard that stinging nettles contain a particularly sinister and dangerous chemical called dihydrous monoxide. Seriously! Dangerous! Stuff! It's killed thousands, if not MILLIONS of people!!!

Anyway, stinging nettles are pretty cool plants. I still wish I hadn't walked through them with shorts on, and there are a lot more stinging nettles around here than the giant hogweed everyone's currently panicking about.

I had some nice beer the other day made with stinging nettles. You can even make your own Nettle Beer recepie. Of course all beer is loaded with dihydrous monoxide anyway... but I'm still alive :(

I had some nice beer the other day made with stinging nettles. You can even make your own Nettle Beer recepie. Of course all beer is loaded with dihydrous monoxide anyway... but I'm still alive :(

I imagine the beer was loaded with ethanol, too. Those chemicals get into everything!

I had some nice beer the other day made with stinging nettles. You can even make your own Nettle Beer recepie. Of course all beer is loaded with dihydrous monoxide anyway... but I'm still alive :)

I imagine the beer was loaded with ethanol, too. Those chemicals get into everything!

And don't think you can do any better by drinking soda pop... that junk has dihydrous monoxide AND carbonic acid that becomes carbon dioxide in it! We should all just run away now!

Anyone know anything about "Hog Weed"? We are starting to see some scary reports about this plant in Ontario. Apparently it makes poison ivy look downright benign.

I was working with a local (in the UK) wildlife trust last week clearing weeds when my arms and a leg came in to contact with the sap of hogweed (the 'standard' one rather than the giant one). I was wearing short sleeves and shorts as I thought that only giant hogweed caused a problem and I knew that I wasn't working close to that variety.

The next day I had red marks on my arms and a knee but they weren't sore. I assumed it was some sort of allergic reaction to some unknown substance. The next day day the marks developped large blisters about 5mm high but they weren't particularly sore. The next day I was driving home in the sun when the blisters started to get very itchy and one actually burst. For 2 days they were very itchy and caused me to wake during the night. The blisters have now gone but the marks still remain and one arm is very itchy.

I'm not sure if the marks will remain as scars.

Giant hogweed is apparently a lot worse - you can get problems from just touching the plant.