Why do I need to enter my home coordinates?

Colin Benson

Alright, my first cache was approved today: http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...67-8b2c6979908a

However, my reviewer, Onecrazycanadain, has asked me to publish the coordinates to my home before he will approve any more of my caches. I assume he means that I have to put GPS numbers "N 50* 234.234 W* 033 456.223" or something like that on my profile. I think I have my home address hidden somewhere on my profile. I feel a bit uncomfortable letting the world know the exact spot where I live. My brother, who also does geocaching says he never got a request like that before. Yeah, I know there aren't many rapists or crazies here but... I told my reviewer that I live in Selkirk and he said that's good enough but any more caches I submit, need my home coordinates. What should I do? Should I have someone else review future caches or should I enter my home location?

This is the first message I received from Onecrazycanadain:

"Hi,

Thank you for your cache submission.

One of the things we assess when reviewing a cache is the owner's location in case there is a need to perform maintenance on it. Unfortunately I can't tell how close or far you are from the cache you have submitted a you have not yet entered your home coordinates into the Geocaching.com system.

By entering your home location future cache reviews will proceed more promptly and you will be able to view nearby caches with a single click. It also allows you to receive weekly notifications of new caches that are near to you. You can enter you coordinates by going to your account page and looking in the upper right corner where it says "You have not selected home coordinates. Add them now?".

When you have entered your home location please email me thru my profile or post a reviewer note on the cache page, reviewer notes auto delete when the cache is published, and I will be happy to take another look at your cache. "

You do not need to disclose your home coordinates to your reviewer, or on your public profile. You just need to enter some coordinates using the tool provided.

You may wish to edit your post to remove the coordinates.

You can add your home coordinates using the mapping tool here: http://www.geocaching.com/account/ManageLocations.aspx

Your home location is used to confirm that caches you hide are within your maintainable distance. Reviewers cannot see the exact coordinates which you enter, and it's fine to use a nearby landmark rather than your actual residence.

Entering home coordinates in the system also facilitates the delivery of a weekly e-mailer telling you about new caches published in your area.

If you choose not to enter your home coordinates into the system, you will need to confirm every time you hide a cache that the cache is within your maintainable distance.

For more details, read this page in the Groundspeak Knowledge Books: http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?p...page&id=108