TB hotel??

opie744

It's a cache where the owner expects TBs to pass through. It's a junction, that is "well-known" cache that people can dump TBs into to help other people get access to them. People don't usually put other items in them, just bugs.

Sometimes placing a TB in a hotel dooms it for a bit because it's not in circulation, but waiting for that special person to come move it along.

The concept would work well if not for thieves and the special attractiveness of travel bugs. If I were to create a TB hotel, I would make it a "Members Only Cache" and probably stipulate that a MAXIMUM of one or two travel bugs should be in residence at any time. That's the kind of hotel I'd want my travel bugs to stay in between travels.

worldtraveler

I feel that both of the above type TB hotels are not hotels, but prisons.

They can't get out unless others are put in. IF the person is going to be a good cache upkeeper, they need to be prepared to replace their cache when the travel bugs disappear, by either moving other bugs into the hotel or buying some of their own and creating some travel bugs.

Creating rules that restrict when a bug can leave, causes bugs to languish there for longer periods of time. What happens if a person finds your cache and wants to take a bug because they are going to be close to where the bug wants to go? IF it were me, I'd take the bug and move it. Right now, I don't have any travel bugs in my possession. Why do I need to be restricted in taking a bug because someone wants to restrict bug movements? I really think that a good cache hider will take care of his or her cache in a different way.

Webfoot

Veni...Vidi...Vicachi.

I came...I saw...I geocached.

Southern California Geocaching

quote:
Originally posted by Webfoot:

I feel that both of the above type TB hotels are not hotels, but prisons.

They can't get out unless others are put in...

The type I was describing would have a MAXIMUM suggested residence (to minimize attractiveness to thieves), but no minimum. Since travel bugs are not generally considered to be trade items, I wouldn't have any problem with someone taking a travel bug and leaving nothing. The cache could easily set empty or hold a limited number of regular trade items between travel bug visits. No big deal.

worldtraveler

Personally, the last thing I want my bug to visit is a member's only site. After hearing how no one should be excluded in a FTF (except non members) and how geocaching is a sport open to everyone (provided they're members), the last thing I really want is a bug locked in a cache that's banned from someone just because they're not a paying member.

I'm sorry, but $30 doesn't make you any more trustworthy than anyone else. If I wanted to plunder chaches, steal travel bugs, and otherwise be a jerk, I'd pay my $3/month and hit the member's only sites first.

Travel bugs are most typically muggled by being placed in drive-up caches that are then visited by new cachers or non-cachers who do not treat the TB with respect. The best way to take care of TBs you come in contact with is to put them in caches that take some work to reach - at least a 1/2 hour hike.

quote:
Originally posted by worldtraveler:

The type I was describing would have a MAXIMUM suggested residence (to minimize attractiveness to thieves), but no minimum. Since travel bugs are not generally considered to be trade items, I wouldn't have any problem with someone taking a travel bug and leaving nothing. The cache could easily set empty or hold a limited number of regular trade items between travel bug visits. No big deal.

worldtraveler

Ooops. For some reason, I was reading this as minimum, not maximum. It makes much more sense now.

WarluZ' suggesstion of putting travel bugs in less accessible caches, ones where the more experienced cachers will go to before the rookies and newbies makes a lot of sense. My most successful travel bugs have been ones that have been in less accessible caches.

Webfoot

Veni...Vidi...Vicachi.

I came...I saw...I geocached.

Southern California Geocaching

quote:
Originally posted by bons:

Personally, the last thing I want my bug to visit is a member's only site. After hearing how no one should be excluded in a FTF (except non members) and how geocaching is a sport open to everyone (provided they're members), the last thing I really want is a bug locked in a cache that's banned from someone just because they're not a paying member.

I'm sorry, but $30 doesn't make you any more trustworthy than anyone else. If I wanted to plunder chaches, steal travel bugs, and otherwise be a jerk, I'd pay my $3/month and hit the member's only sites first.

I disagree. M/O caches are one of the perks for actually supporting the site. There is no rule that says nobody should be excluded from a FTF or that all caches should be open to all hunters. Also most folks that want to be a jerk do not want to pay to do so, nor do they actually look up caches on the site to find something to plunder, they tend to find them when someone is careless about the hide or the find. M/O caches have an important role to play in the game, they keep the traffic down and actually to tend to get plundered much less. This is probably due to the fact that most folks that place a M/O cache tend to put more effort/thought into the placement of the cache and members that hunt them tend to take a little more effort/care when finding them. They also tend to have nicer swag in them and take a bit longer to degrade to McToy status. While I do agree that most caches should not be M/O, they are good to have. Of my 17 caches, only 2 are M/O and 1 of those was created specifically to meet the goal of a M/O bug that wanted to travel to other states.

* Remember... Only you can pervert forest faeries... *

Official H2G2 Researcher #248886 www.pdxgeocaching.com

**Namaste**

quote:
Originally posted by bons:

...If I wanted to plunder chaches, steal travel bugs, and otherwise be a jerk, I'd pay my $3/month and hit the member's only sites first.

In that case you would not be a normal jerk. No one is under the illusion MOC's can't be plundered. I was only suggesting a few ways caches could be made less desirable to jerks and more secure for travel bugs.

I have an MOC (not a TB hotel) that is a 5-leg multi covering more than 1 mile and requiring at least 1 hour to complete. The cache box is chained and padlocked with a combination lock. At an honest 3/3 rating, it requires more effort to complete than MOST jerks would be willing to expend. Travel bugs are welcome, but I help them move on if they stay more than a couple weeks. It's the kind of cache I would want my own travel bugs to visit.

worldtraveler