Virginia - Maryland Hot Potato

Inscrutable

This post is to let cachers in Virginia and Maryland know about a new travel bug 'Hot Potato VA-MD' (TBA225). The goal is to start a game of 'Hot Potato' between the cachers of Virginia and the cachers of Maryland as each group tries to move the bug out of their state as quickly as possible.

Here are the rules:

1. Pick a team to play for, either Virginia or Maryland. You can pick either team, regardless of where you live. Just pick a team and stick with it.

2. If someone on the Virginia team finds the bug in a cache in Virginia, they should try to move the bug to a cache in Maryland. If someone on the Maryland team finds the bug in a cache in Maryland, they should try to move the bug to a cache in Virginia.

3. The bug should always be in either Virginia or Maryland. Please do not take it out of these two states.

4. Please don't cheat. Don't claim that you hid the bug in a cache in the other team's state, then keep the bug in your sock drawer for six months.

5. Putting the bug in a cache that has a high level of difficulty is fair. Moving or modifying the cache containing the bug to make it harder to find is not.

If enough people want to play, I will release additional Hot Potato bugs with the same rules so that more people can get a turn. See the bug's page for the current score.

[This message was edited by Inscrutable on June 26, 2003 at 07:45 AM.]

Whoever puts it back in VA had better move it far, cause if I get it again it's going into the deepest, darkest, hole I can find in MD to assure victory.

Better yet since MD seems to be micro crazy, I'll just make my own - stand by for the ultimate puzzle cache? icon_wink.gif

Success is not measured by the position one has reached in life, rather by the obstacles overcome while trying to succeed.

- Booker T. Washington

Hi fellow geocachers...

I noticed your post about the Hot potato game between Virginia and Maryland and I wish you well. I ran a hot potato travel bug game between North and South Austin this spring and everyone really enjoyed it. Check out the rules and scores pages at http://www.robuck.net/hotpotato/ and http://www.robuck.net/hotpotato/status.htm. I have learned a few things and will be modifying the rules slighty for the next round which I plan to start this fall. Have fun and play fair!

Scott of Team GeoDillo

Austin Texas

quote:
Originally posted by Neo_Geo:

Question:

Do we have to drop off into an _EXISTING_ cache, or can we go into the other team's territory and _CREATE a 5/5_...??? icon_eek.gif

I am going to issue a new rule that the bug must be placed in an existing cache. If someone (Bigcall?) can make a persuasive case for dropping this rule, I’ll consider it. My concern is that I don’t want someone to put the bug in a pill bottle, encase the pill bottle in three feet of concrete, then sink the concrete block to the bottom of a lake and call it a cache. Which, I know, is an extreme example, but hopefully you see my point.

If there are any other changes or clarifications that need to be made to the rules, please feel free to either post questions here or email them to me directly.

(p.s. Apparently I can't edit my original post because it was posted too long ago. But the rules listed on the bug's web page will reflect the "must be placed in an existing cache" rule and a request that people only grab the bug if they can place it in a new cache within two weeks. I'd like to pick up the pace of the game.)

[This message was edited by Inscrutable on July 04, 2003 at 01:20 PM.]

I've had a few people email me to ask whether or not they should grab the bug under certain circumstances. I won't copy and paste all of the questions here, but I will provide some guidelines that I've come up with.

To be honest, I'm making up these rules as I go. In a perfect world, when someone grabbed the bug they would put in back in a different cache quickly (less than two weeks), and they would make a significant contribution toward moving the bug across the state line. Some examples of significant contributions are:

1. Moving the bug across the state line, obviously.

2. If the bug is in your state, but is a long way from the state line, then moving the bug much closer to the state line would be significant even if the bug stayed in the same state. How far does the bug need to be moved before the movement is considered significant? I don't have a firm rule for this.

3. If the bug is in your state in a cache with a high degree of difficulty, then moving the bug to a more accessible cache would be a significant contribution, even if the bug didn't move any closer to the state line.

If you can't make some sort of contribution to moving the bug across the state line, leave the bug for someone who can.

Darn!!!

icon_wink.gif

I might just have to create a hard one in MD anyway since I think square mileage wise, they have a huge advantage.

Success is not measured by the position one has reached in life, rather by the obstacles overcome while trying to succeed.

- Booker T. Washington