Hide new cache or get code first?

bootsycat

Hi - I have a chicken-and-egg dilemma, and before you suggest it, I have read the FAQs and knowledge books and searched on here but I give up, so I'm hoping you guys can help.

I've been caching gently for a few months and want to set my own now near where I live. As far as I understand, the cache should contain the GC code in or on it somewhere. But I won't get that till I submit the listing, and before I do that, I have to have hidden the cache... so do I hide it, submit it for review, and then rush back with the code, risking that it will be published and found before I've been able to do that?

(And if that is answered somewhere on here, then you have permission to be scathing!).

Many thanks.

Hi,

You don't really have to have a GC# on/in the cache, although it is best.

The easiest way to get the code, is to make the cache page before you hide the cache. On the edit page for a new cache, there is a box that you can leave unchecked, that says, "Yes, this cache is currently active (Reviewers will not see this listing in the review queue unless this box is checked.)"

Just make out the page minimally, and guesstimate the coords, submit the cache page (without that box checked), and there you have a GC#. The cache will not pop up in the Reviewer queue if that box is not checked. When you have hidden the cache and get the correct coords, go back to the cache page and edit everything. Check the box that says that it is active, and then the cache can be reviewed for listing on Gc.Com. :)

Edited by Ambrosia

When you fill in the on-line cache submission form un-check the little box which says "Yes, this listing is active..."

This allows you to tick the two bottom boxes and Report New Listing without the cache submission going through to the reviewer to be reviewed. It will allow you to see what your new cache page will look like and you'll see the GC number in the top right corner. You can play around with the page, editing it as many times as you want to get it just right. When it's all OK then it's ready for review. At this stage you must make sure that the cache is out there, in the wild, ready to be found.

Now you go back and re-check that little box to show the listing is active. When you click Report New Listing this time it will be submitted to the reviewer for review and, hopefully, publication on the site.

(Just make sure that when you check those bottom boxes that you have read and understood the Guidelines... at least twice :) )

MrsB

When you fill in the on-line cache submission form un-check the little box which says "Yes, this listing is active..."

This allows you to tick the two bottom boxes and Report New Listing without the cache submission going through to the reviewer to be reviewed. It will allow you to see what your new cache page will look like and you'll see the GC number in the top right corner. You can play around with the page, editing it as many times as you want to get it just right. When it's all OK then it's ready for review. At this stage you must make sure that the cache is out there, in the wild, ready to be found.

Now you go back and re-check that little box to show the listing is active. When you click Report New Listing this time it will be submitted to the reviewer for review and, hopefully, publication on the site.

(Just make sure that when you check those bottom boxes that you have read and understood the Guidelines... at least twice :) )

MrsB

And then be ready to go back out and retrieve it because there is a multi stage near, or a final for a puzzle.

Before placing it and submitting for final, send the reviewer the GC# and ask them to look at it to make sure the spot is open. If it is.... then place the cache and submit for final review. I had to move a cache 4 times because of hidden caches in the area.

you guys sucked all the potential joy out of scathing, for sure ;-)

Once you've got coords in that cache page, the maps work, even if the cache is unpublished, and the "active" box is unchecked.

So look at them! make sure that the map is showing you the place where your cache is.

It's easy to typo coordinate entry into the little boxes.

Also, the "nearby caches" link works. Click it. If you see a cache within .1 miles, you have a problem.