PN-40 Waterproof?

I got my PN-40 just yesterday, and i wondered how waterproof it really is. I saw it meets IPX-7 standards, which is defined that it can be submerged up to 1m, but with the power and USB cable attachment open on the back i was wondering- can i go swimming with it? Can i do simple geocaches that are in the water and now worry about my gps getting ruined (above 1m of course)?

"How waterproof is it?" - You already have your answer, it meets IPX-7 standards. If it couldn't take 30 minutes at 1 meter, it wouldn't be rated as such.

The power and USB cable attachment are not open in on the back - they're surface contacts, there is no "opening" there that isn't sealed.

People have been known to drag their PN-40s behind a kayak all day long, but I wouldn't recommend it.

If you have a cache that's under 1m or less of water, I'm having trouble understanding why you'd need to "go swimming" in the first place.

If you have a cache that's under 1m or less of water, I'm having trouble understanding why you'd need to "go swimming" in the first place.

Lemme bring that one home to you. Let's assume for a minute that the lake just SE of Ellison Park had an island ...

I can think of a couple of caches that I'm still waiting to try here in Colorado until I can remember bring a couple of good ZipLoc bags and my swim trunks. There's a couple more that I plan to try now that the water has warmed up where I should be up to my ankles, but could take a tumble getting to them.

I meant it by caches being in the water

but thanks for all the info

Oh.

If you could rig a floating external antenna, perhaps. You won't be getting satellite signals under water.

I meant it by caches being in the water

but thanks for all the info

Oh.

If you could rig a floating external antenna, perhaps. You won't be getting satellite signals under water.

The PN-40 has no external antenna port. And that plan assumes that the antenna & the cacher don't drift too far apart.