Garmin Oregon vs. Dakota

Is it worth the extra money to buy the Oregon instead of the Dakota?
Which Oregon and which Dakota? IF you select the closest featured models, you'll find the biggest difference turns out to be screen size and Wherigo.

Either the Dakota 20 or the Oregon 450 would be good choices.

I'd go with the Oregon 450. The Oregon series seems a bit better ruggedized to me (despite the larger display).

They are both built very strong. We've owned the Oregon 200, 300, and 450. Plus, we've also had a Dakota 10. My wife loved her Dakota 10 because it was so small and fit her hand perfectly. I remember that her Dakota 10 was brighter in direct sunlight than our Oregon 200 & 300. But, at night it was not too clear because of it's lower resolution. As for the Wherigo capability of the Oregons, who cares because I don't know anyone who plays it. The Dakota series seems too expensive at this time and would only be the best choice for those who want a truly compact unit. Overall, right now, I think the Oregon 450 is the best unit to go with. Though, if a Dakota 20 was about $199.99, I would probably change my tune.