Log Deletion...

LionsLair

I woke up this morning to find 3 emails in my inbox labeled "Log Deletion Notice" and went something like this...

Your log entry for the listing ________ Geocoin was deleted by _________ on Friday, 09 July 2010 23:21:17

needless to say I was surprised a bit and tried to investigate...

The best I can come up with is someone may have sold a collection that I may have discovered at an event. The new owner, whom used to frequent the geocoin forums quite often, evidently deleted all previous logs for whatever reason. Further investigation shows that all tackables owned by this individual (several hundred) have 0 miles/ 0 logs.

Now this isn't the end of the world I know, but two of those coins are older and harder to find and I doubt I have opportunity to add the coins icon to my list again. ( yes, I am a recovering icon ho' )

As geocaching becomes more mainstream everyday, we've all seen coins become victim to theft and more people safeguard their coins by keeping them in private collections. With all the economic whoas, and many faced with selling their collections.... Is this something that we can expect in the evolution of coin/icon collecting? ... I guess only time will tell. :)

Sorry to hear that.... I've done it when I was just a noob and didn't know any better. Now I prefer to keep the history of the coin with me after the purchase as a courtesy to the people who've handled the coin before I got it. Others may flavour differently but it's not totally uncommon. :):):)

I had been looking at some coins on ebay that were activated and the seller had indicated that he would be willing to delete all the logs if the new owner requested it. I think I, too, would want to keep the history of the coin.

Sometimes it is more important to folks to have the coin be re-activated when they get it. So that it begins its life anew with them, on their date and at their location, brand new to them.

I clearly like (or have liked) icons myself, but after all, it is their coin to do with as they please.

It is ultimately a game....

Sorry for asking but... why to delete a log, a find or a discover?

To make the coin look... newer with no logs etc?? so you can sale it as activated but new (clear coin)??? If the coin is ut travelling you can easily see that is has nicks, it is a little worn...it is logical!

but to delete discoveries too....

Why to delete the path and the history of a coin???