destroyed and reconstructed tower bm

Claudia

What, if anything, should I do with this one? It's an urban tower and was certainly never lost. ;-)

Pretty full details are in my note on the page. The tower was burned down and reconstructed decades later. Harvard being Harvard, they were quite careful with the reconstruction, and the roof (the center of which is the station) would appear to be in exactly the same position as before. But because they reconstructed the tower to an earlier form than the one seen in the 30's, the tower matches the description pretty incompletely.

As a surveyor, I wouldn't use it, (we typically don't use bell towers, water towers, etc. anymore anyway.) but as a Geocacher/Benchmarker I probably would log it as a find. The brass disks we search for occasionally do get replaced and they are still valid finds. Just note the changes, if any, as you found them.

Keep on Caching!

- Kewaneh

I was out on a job today (after I made my previous post to this thread) and saw this benchmark GU3436. I didn't read the data sheet until I got back to the office and found that it's a good example of this thread. The original mark was a wood water tower and then sometime between 1961 and 1970 it was replaced with a steel tank. In 1970 someone noted the change and it's still considered a usable benchmark.

Your tower counts Claudia.

Keep on Caching!

- Kewaneh

I see what you mean. I intend to list as destroyed another church spire that may or may not be the original one: it doesn't have the surrounding shorter spires described in the NGS report.

But in this case there is enormous photographic and other evidence that the thing (the roof of the tower, which is the station) is exactly how it used to be, which is why I figured it was a possible find.

On looking more at the pictures, I agree that it's a find.

Since the tower apparently wasn't destroyed all the way to the ground, the new tower had to be built over the same construct and was built in the same way, and since the shape of the tower never had a clearly defined center, I can't see how the new position could be significantly different from the old one.