question on downloading

cband

I have a premium membership. I downloaded a cache to my etrex ventureHC. Is there any way to get the "clues" downloaded? I get the coordinates, but none of the written text that helps with locating the cache. Am I missing something when I download? Thanks

I have a premium membership. I downloaded a cache to my etrex ventureHC. Is there any way to get the "clues" downloaded? I get the coordinates, but none of the written text that helps with locating the cache. Am I missing something when I download? Thanks

We have a Garmin Dakota 20 GPS, and when we have downloaded geocaches from the web site our Gps allows us to see the description, the logs and the hint about the cache. The hint is only available to see when we actually hit the Go to seek the cache then a menu can be accessed to view hints, description etc

Maybe your unit does not have this ability.

Regards

Grey Nomadz (Australia)

the etrex series is not "paperless" geocaching capable, which means that you'll have to run the PQ data through some other application to make it more useful for this device. GSAK is probably the most popular and logical choice.

Ok, I get the concept, but no clue how to do it. I've had the unit for less than 24 hours, but leave for vacation tomorrow!! I'm doing a crash course in geocaching. How do I download in the GSAK format?? I've tried searching the forum but GSAK is too short of a query. Can you point me in the right direction? I know that we newbies are a pain in the a**, but someday, hopefully, I'll be able to assist and return the favor to another newbie.

Another option is to purchase a Pocket PC and install GPXview which is freeware. This allows you to put a copy of the GPX file onto the Pocket PC as well as your GPS. This allows you to view the complete cache info including clue and the last 5 logs. You can find pocket PC's on ebay for fairly reasonable prices now that evryone has everything on the phones.

The are other pieces of software that will do more that GPXview, such as GSAK, but they are not free and some have a fairly high learning curve.

Another option is to purchase a Pocket PC and install GPXview which is freeware. This allows you to put a copy of the GPX file onto the Pocket PC as well as your GPS. This allows you to view the complete cache info including clue and the last 5 logs. You can find pocket PC's on ebay for fairly reasonable prices now that evryone has everything on the phones.

The are other pieces of software that will do more that GPXview, such as GSAK, but they are not free and some have a fairly high learning curve.

+1

Your unit is simply not paperless and this will be the best way to view the data in the field. Used PDAs aften sell for less than $50 on ebay.

I leave today! so for right now, I will make notes on caches I download. After I return, I will figure out how to use my Palm Centro for the hunt. thanks to all for suggestions. I will be back on I'm sure to ask questions on my return. I hope I find at least one cache in Venice!! Then on to Salzburgerland (outside Salzburg) to continue the hunt.