Ipod Touch

SXR800

The iPod Touch is used for carrying your data base. By using one of several apps available, you can download pocket queries and upload your field notes to Geocaching.com. If you purchase the Dual GPS cradle, you can use it for caching but it won't be as good as a stand alone gps.

Heck, for your coat of ten bucks, you can't go wrong even if all you do is download music. I'd like to find a ten buck Touch.

Edited by Trav'lin Two

Thank you so much for the info ....

I will look further into it .

I know you can download the caches to your ipod ... but it has to be wi-fi ...... what are you actualy able to do when you are in the woods or wherever? does it give you the -- arrows to tell you about which way to go, or you see nothing once your out of wi-fi territory ?? i'm just alittle confused ... sorry !!

Edited by SXR800

So pleased to see this topic! I have found my Touch very handy for Geocaching.

I use an app called Geosphere. I do have wifi in my house; don't know how handy this app is without it. Though Geosphere does have a GPS interface for you use with an iPhone, since the Touch doesn't have a GPS, I don't use that aspect of the app. I use it to take advantage of paperless caching.

Geosphere is basically like a pocket version of GSAK. You download your PQ's into it and sort them in various ways. Out in the field, you can refer to the cache description, hints, and previous logs, and you can write field notes, which you can then download when you have access to wifi. You can also download more caches / PQ's wherever you have wifi.

For actually finding the cache, I use my Garmin GPS 60CSx. I use the Touch to look at extended information, mark the cache found, and write field notes.

Hope this helps!

--Q

I also use the Geosphere app. I also use the Dual Cradle which makes the app really great.

You can go HERE and watch a video on how to use Geosphere.

The final step is to use the 60csx for cache location however I think you can do pretty well with a Touch and the cradle.

I just attended GW VIII and in the GPS accuracy challenge, one of the winners used their cell phone!

Edited by Trav'lin Two

I use a 1st generation iPod Touch as a portable geocache database together with a Garmin GPSMAP 60CSx for the actual searching. The iPod is jailbroken and I use a combination of GSAK and some macro's to generate HTML files containing several different indexes of the caches together with their descriptions, logs and spoiler photos. These HTML files are then transfered to the iPod and can be viewed using Safari.

Thanks again for everyones response, it has been helpful .... I am still thinking about it ...

and what I meant before was that the Application for the geocaching for the ipod touch was 10.00 .. the ipod touch is way more than that !!!

thanks again

Actually, I seem to recall something about a new "piggy back" GPS/battery pack deal that is made to fit the Ipod and the Iphone. This thing is supposed to have a real GPS inside and a power pack to boost run time.. Can't recall the link though.

That would be the Dual Cradle that I linked to in post #6

I use mine for paperless caching. It's GREAT!

We searched this weekend for right many caches and I was glad to record field notes on the spot instead of having to remember them later in case I lost my papers. On the flip side, I hit the wrong button and erased them all before I downloaded them... :):lol: