Is it possible for this feature?

fox-and-the-hound

Many caches placed in places like state parks have a time limit before they need to be removed. Is it possible to have a time limit feature in the cache page to warn/remind cachers that the time is approaching to remove the cache? It becomes a little difficult to remember which ones have been out for how long and to anticipate the pending removal time.

What if you put that information directly in the cache description as a reminder?

Such as .... "Per the requirements of Pennsylvania State Parks, this cache must be removed by Marchtember one-teenth 2011."

Yes but it would be nicer if you got an email about 30 days before - to remind you.

What if you put that information directly in the cache description as a reminder?

Such as .... "Per the requirements of Pennsylvania State Parks, this cache must be removed by Marchtember one-teenth 2011."

For myself with only a couple dozens caches, it would be fine. For some I know with well over a hundred (or in some cases 100s) it would be a great little feature to be reminded a few weeks out to make plans to go retrieve the cache. Not to mention it would ease our relationship with some state park systems and others who are leary of us as it is.

Edited by fox-and-the-hound

Sounds like a very constructive suggestion to me. Are you aware of the new Feedback site?I suspect that they will be using that site, more than the forums, for a place to look at feature suggestions.

I vaguely recall something about this new site, but no, I've never looked into it. Thank you for the reminder :lol:

For myself with only a couple dozens caches, it would be fine. For some I know with well over a hundred (or in some cases 100s) it would be a great little feature to be reminded a few weeks out to make plans to go retrieve the cache. Not to mention it would ease our relationship with some state park systems and others who are leary of us as it is.

A thought comes to mind here that if caches can't be maintained properly, they should not be puut out.

A thought comes to mind here that if caches can't be maintained properly, they should not be puut out.

Well that's really helpful and forward thinking :blink: Tools to help maintain caches are just sooo passe' I guess.

The downside is that many park administrators tend to look the other way when the time expires if the cache has not been a problem. Putting an expiration date on it will make the date more public and thus that removal date is more likely to be enforced. Be proactive.. approach the park management prior to the date and arrange for a renewal of the permit, a minor location adjustment.. whatever. Put it on your personal calendar not a public one.

Yes but it would be nicer if you got an email about 30 days before - to remind you.

Not disagreeing. Having the information the cache page would also help notify the cachers seeking the cache especially as the date gets closer.

Where do you hear the OP saying that they can't maintain their caches? They never said that. They simply suggested a tool that could be put in place to assist with that. Nothing wrong with that.