Advertisement slows down cache page

Hirogens

I've been trying to figure out why the cache page loads quickly enough but, I was unable to scroll down to the log entries for 3 or 4 seconds. Finally figured it out. There is an advertising widget in an iframe which pulls an ad from banman5.Groundspeak.com. This is what bogs down the page load and since it is an iframe, it keeps one from moving around until it finishes loading.

To make matters even worse, occassionally the banman5 advertisement has a problem and the browser stops responding. After waiting a few minutes, I give up and restart the browser session.

I've gone so far as to edit my hosts file so that banman5.Groundspeak.com point to 127.0.0.1. Fast page load now and can scroll around immediately. That came with a price however, when I hit the back button now, it attempts to load the iframe for banman5 again instead of going back to my previous page. I just have to hit it twice as a workaround to that problem.

Serious work needs to be done on the advertising. I hate advertising in general and feel we are all way beyond inundated with advertising from every medium of communication we use but, this post won't change that. I don't mind an advert on the cache page I guess so long as it doesn't interfere with my use of the page or cause my browser to hang.

The banman5.geocaching.com call really is an issue, particularily on cache pages with a lot of logs. It will totally freeze the cache page, and (at least with Firefox and IE8) the entire browser.

Not a properly configured Firefox. :blink:

Shouldn't need to mask the problem if it shouldn't be happening in the first place.

The banman5.geocaching.com call really is an issue, particularily on cache pages with a lot of logs. It will totally freeze the cache page, and (at least with Firefox and IE8) the entire browser.

Not a properly configured Firefox. :blink:

Shouldn't need to mask the problem if it shouldn't be happening in the first place.

And it shouldn't be happening to premium members in the first place.