Garmin Colorado map funkiness since 3.40 update

For ages, I've used several map products on my Colorado 400t in conjunction with one another:

- US Topo 2008 (preinstalled)

- National Parks Topo East v.2 (older version without terrain shading)

- City Navigator 2009

- US States & Counties

What's nice about the Colorado is that these maps can be overlaid with each other in various combinations... for example, if you enable Topo 2008 and City Navigator while terrain shading is enabled, you get the nice 3D shading effect without the contour lines. I also like to leave the county boundaries enabled for reference (they are transparent and can be overlaid with any other map).

However, since installing the 3.40 software update and a few Birds Eye images, I have found that the terrain shading is exceptionally dark if I have more than just Topo 2008 enabled. Watching as the map renders it appears as if the shading is initially drawn correctly, then a dark layer is drawn over the image one second later, than another dark layer upon another once a second or so - sometimes up to 5 or 6 times until the terrain is nearly black:

7ba0930f-0437-4455-bc2c-17a189b53398.jpg

I initially suspected that my installed Birds Eye imagery had something to do with this (terrain shading is disabled when BI images are displayed on the screen) so I uninstalled them from the unit. However, I still have the same problem so long as more than one map product is enabled at a time. If I disable all but Topo 2008, the terrain renders just fine.

My second problem has to do with Birds Eye images themselves. If I have a vector based map enabled on top of the satellite imagery I occasionally see holes such as below:

001b2822-11b3-4b4a-867c-5e8a8056f00c.jpg

In this case, the imagery displays just fine in Base Camp for Mac, so I suspect that it is not a download issue.

Has anybody else been having similar display issues since the 3.40 update? I'm wondering if these issues are ones that only I'm experiencing or if they are more widespread bugs that Garmin may attempt to fix in a future software update.

It does correct the issue with the shading, but I have never experienced the "holes" that you describe so I can't comment as to whether that is also fixed.

1) Check Birdseye on the computer to make sure those tiles actually downloaded

2) Check that there is not a mix of high / very high resolution tiles on the same screen - I have experienced "holes" along the boundaries of this combination when using my GPS in the field. Fix was simple - don't mix different resolution BE images on the same unit.

The 3.42 fixed all of the map redraw issues for me.

Humph, sulking now :lol: Mine is fine until I am almost there, then it stops updating the map and I see to go off the end of the map as I get a white area appear. I will wait for Garmin who tell me they know what the issue is!