Newbie needs help!

VIFFF

Loked for 5 today, got to one within "7" feet, found the 'hint' tree and still could not find a single one

Is anyone from SE Portland willing to help a newbie get started!??

Thank You!

Which caches?

GC1HG5K, GC185JR,GC1894X, Are the 3 that I remember

Loked for 5 today, got to one within "7" feet, found the 'hint' tree and still could not find a single one

Is anyone from SE Portland willing to help a newbie get started!??

Thank You!

Which caches?

Hey there bud, post this in the "newbie" forums. And state your exact probelms. You will get help from the experts there such as GPS help and just general good questions answered. You might have your GPS set on the wrong settings. Best of luck.

GC1HG5K can only be retrieved when the gates are unlocked. Across the street is the site of the old "104th Street Drive-in" which showed X-rated movies back in the early 80's. People would park in the park area and watch them instead of going in.

GC185JR shows as unpublished. Perhaps you typed the wrong number.

GC1894X is a Roy Batty cache. His caches are considered to be a superior cache experience but, sadly, he's been absent for a long time. The cache could be gone.

It's also possible that your phone isn't as accurate as you are led to believe.

You might want to stick to caches with a difficulty level below 2 for a while until you get some more experience searching. Sometimes you will get an idea of how to find a cache by finding another cache.

Good luck.

The iPhone app, or any similar phone geocaching application, are great companion tools for geocaching. They work best in conjunction with a stand alone GPS unit and/or by experienced cachers who know what to look for when they get within 100 feet.

I've heard reports of the coordinates obtained from the iPhone app being off by up to 75 feet. That will get you to the right area but may not help you much if it's a micro. I'd suggest looking at the cache pages closely at first and pick out ones that have regular sized containers. Those are often (but not always) easier to find.

You can find SE Portland geocachers at http://www.georegon.com. Friendly group, lots of events.

I second this, There are alot of us that show up at these events, There is actually one this Saturday I believe at North Clackamas Park. I wouldn't mind giving a hand if time frames are right. Ilso agree to stick to the larger sized caches until you can figure out some of the hiding techniques that are around.