Using a Phone Without Data Plan

I'm completely new to geocaching, and was thinking about upgrading my phone to include one that has a GPS built in. I really don't need a data contract, as most of the time I'm near free Wi-Fi, and I really don't want a $100 a month phone bill.

How viable is it to use a phone with preloaded maps, and a GPS, and if possible a dedicated geocaching app of some sort to get started? I know it would probably be easier to pick up a cheap GPS to use, but I was hoping I could justify spending a little more on the phone upgrade by picking up a new hobby with it.

I'd prefer to pick up an Android phone, but WinMo isn't out of the question.

Any suggestions or info?

If you find a carrier that will sell you a smartphone w/o a data plan, I'd like to know who it is. I have Verizon, and want to get a PalmPre Plus, so I can load Cachemate and download caches (I currently have a Palm Centro w/o a plan and am using Cachemate). They will NOT sell me the phone unless I pay $30/month for a data plan. I refuse to pay $30 to squint at the internet! One more way to screw the customer.

How viable is it to use a phone with preloaded maps, and a GPS, and if possible a dedicated geocaching app of some sort to get started? I know it would probably be easier to pick up a cheap GPS to use, but I was hoping I could justify spending a little more on the phone upgrade by picking up a new hobby with it.

Any suggestions or info?

I would normally say you can not preload Google maps on an Android phone because it violates the Google Terms of Use, but a certain app the violates the Groundspeak TOU now violates the Google TOU(in my opinion) with a store maps for offline use button. I get the updates out of curiosity :-). Strictly speaking you need a data plan for most Android Geocaching apps because they all seem to use Google maps. I am now a very infrequent cacher, but I am a gadget geek. Things sure are interesting for me around here when it comes to Android.

Nokia phones comes with Ovi Maps. Ovi maps are free for Nokia smartphones, they dont use Data to update, only use the GPS signal, therfore there are no data charges, however I have yet to discover how to get co-ordinates into OviMaps

You could look up Google Maps and 'roughly guess' the waypoint..

I've known people who used unlocked Android phones without data plans, some even using bare-bones prepaid SIM cards with WiFi internet access. I've never done it myself though, and I vaguely recall that there can be difficulties getting the phone associated with your Gmail account when you don't have a data plan. And of course, an unlocked phone will have a more expensive purchase price than a subsidized phone that you get when you sign a contract.

But GeoBeagle works without a data connection. Obviously, features that require a data connection (like opening the geocaching.com search page in the Android browser, viewing Google Maps, or posting field notes immediately) don't work without a data connection, but you can use it as a paperless device with PQ data, the built-in GPS antenna and electronic compass, and field notes logged to a file on the SD card.

I'm completely new to geocaching, and was thinking about upgrading my phone to include one that has a GPS built in. I really don't need a data contract, as most of the time I'm near free Wi-Fi, and I really don't want a $100 a month phone bill.

Any suggestions or info?

I think I keep posting this, but I'm something of an evangelist for it!!

I used an old Sony Ericsson k750i for caching without a dataplan successfully for a while. The phone didn't have a GPS receive built in, but for about £10 I got a bluetooth GPS receiver which added that capability. I then used Trekbuddy as the app to work with it. I've since upgraded my phone to a Nokia 5230 (I believe it is a "Nuron" in the US?) but still use the same setup as the inbuilt GPS isn't as good as the bluetooth one.

Trekbuddy doesn't use any data connection - you load GPX files onto it for your waypoints (and therefore have access to hints, logs and descriptions, though not pictures if they are relevant for the cache). You pre-load maps onto it - simple really, just use MobileAtlasCreator to create the maps and move them onto the correct directory on the phone.

In terms of data plans, I don't know if anyone does offer as good prices in the US as over here, but I get 1GB allowance on a pay as you go service from Virgin for £5 per month, so I've been trying other online solutions, but to be honest nothing touches Trekbuddy for features and ease of use.

To use Trekbuddy, you'd just need any phone with Java on it, so Nokia Symbian phones work well.

Matt

Any suggestions or info?

This isn't out on Android Market yet, but I'll mention it anyway --

GeoHunter (free on Market or geohunter.org) soon supports pinpointing a cache location in RMaps. RMaps is a free Android app that can use offline maps. I used it myself when abroad recently, with success. I'm also looking into replacing the Google map with offline maps directly in GeoHunter. I think there are pay apps that has this feature too.

Android is a good choice for geocaching without a data plan (and even better with a data plan..)

/Anders

Thanks everyone.

Yeah, I was planning on getting an unlocked phone, or trying to talk the salesperson at the store into selling me a phone for the $199 or whatever plus the early termination fee for a contract. Can't hurt to ask. Some of the new Android phones are really tempting.

Most of the phones have a price you can buy them for without a contract without changing your contract the problem with some is like sprint wont even activate the phone on the network without the proper data contract I dont know if ATT or Tmobile have a way of enforcing this since you use sim cards though