Transferring .gpx to Oregon 450 hit or miss

GarnetValleyCachers

I am just getting started with a new Oregon 450. I have topo and navigator maps loaded, and like that a lot more than the way it came out of the box, but now when I try to load up a bunch of caches i have identified (using pocket queries sent to GSAK) only some of them seem to have the description and hints, logs etc. Several others, I think in the same download and transfer, say 'get more detail with a premium membership, etc. and I already have a premium membership. Does anyone know why sending to device from GSAK results in less detail? They appear to be in gpx format, but on the device it doesn't look that way...and only sometimes. Has anyone else seen this strange behavior? If so, is there a configuration option i need to set? THe 450 doesn't exactly come with much in the way of instructions.

thanks!

Mods - maybe this should be in GPS and Technology, since whatever is not quite right may be in the GSAK config...but when i transfer a .gpx from the description page of a cache on the website, it gets to GSAK with detail, but when clicking 'send to GPS' on the web page, it says it writes the .gpx successfully to the device, but then after disconnecting it and starting it up, many times it looks as though it sent the .loc file instead. If it was consistent one way or the other, I might be able to isolate the issue with GSAK or something I am doing on the site...but right now, I am not sure what part I am not doing correctly.

Anyway, if this is in the wrong sppot, I apologize!

Edited by GarnetValleyCachers

I just got a new Oregon 450 and I have a premium membership and use GSAK just like you. I have not had the problem you describe. All I can think of is when exporting to .gpx on GSAK, make sure you choose a 1.0 file and not a 1.1 file. Could that be causing your trouble?

Mods - maybe this should be in GPS and Technology, since whatever is not quite right may be in the GSAK config...but when i transfer a .gpx from the description page of a cache on the website, it gets to GSAK with detail, but when clicking 'send to GPS' on the web page, it says it writes the .gpx successfully to the device, but then after disconnecting it and starting it up, many times it looks as though it sent the .loc file instead. If it was consistent one way or the other, I might be able to isolate the issue with GSAK or something I am doing on the site...but right now, I am not sure what part I am not doing correctly.

I don't "send to device".. I "export" (under File on GSAK), which creates a gpx file which I manually move to the garmin/gpx folder once the device is connected to my computer.

That's because send to gps sends .loc files. You will have to take up the matter Garmin since they are the ones that wrote the send to gps functionality.

Does anyone know why sending to device from GSAK results in less detail?

I had the same issue when I switched to Premium Membership. The files didn't get refreshed in GSAK, and sending to GPS from the site didn't work as I had hoped. I never quite understood how to use GSAK. But clearing out its entire database, and installing fresh PQ's fixed it. Same with the Oregon. This only happened when you switched from free to premium, and once you refresh everything, it will all work from now on.

...Except for GSAK. Check around for settings that allow it to update cache descriptions the way you expect. Once you start editing its database (for solved Puzzle coords, etc.), things get... interesting...

Edited by kunarion
on GSAK, make sure you choose a 1.0 file and not a 1.1 file.

This is absolutely correct, if you send a 1.1 file from gsak, the gps will quietly ignore it, so if you already have an older file there, that data will remain (because if you have the same cache in two different gpx files, the oregon will use what it thinks is the most current).

I just got a new Oregon 450 and I have a premium membership and use GSAK just like you. I have not had the problem you describe. All I can think of is when exporting to .gpx on GSAK, make sure you choose a 1.0 file and not a 1.1 file. Could that be causing your trouble?

I think I may have GPX 1.01 checked - I will make sure it is set to 1.0! Thanks!

I had the same issue when I switched to Premium Membership. The files didn't get refreshed in GSAK, and sending to GPS from the site didn't work as I had hoped. I never quite understood how to use GSAK. But clearing out its entire database, and installing fresh PQ's fixed it. Same with the Oregon. This only happened when you switched from free to premium, and once you refresh everything, it will all work from now on.

...Except for GSAK. Check around for settings that allow it to update cache descriptions the way you expect. Once you start editing its database (for solved Puzzle coords, etc.), things get... interesting...

Yes, this is happening just now as I switched from basic to premium, after buying the 450. Obviously, the benefit of paperless motivated me to upgrade, but it's been frustrating to have partial success on seeing the full .gpx detail when i go after a cache. Clearing the database may be the way to go, based on what a few of you have mentioned - thanks for the suggestion!

This is absolutely correct, if you send a 1.1 file from gsak, the gps will quietly ignore it, so if you already have an older file there, that data will remain (because if you have the same cache in two different gpx files, the oregon will use what it thinks is the most current).

I will double check that, and then i think delete everything from the 450's Garmin\GPX folder and reload - think that ought to do it?

Thanks all for the ideas - will try that tonight and post the results! :lol:

I will double check that, and then i think delete everything from the 450's Garmin\GPX folder and reload - think that ought to do it?
It's fine to erase the files in that folder occasionally. That way it won't be cluttered with outdated info. Save stuff first, particularly tracks, or waypoints you've marked, if you want them. When you send from the web site or GSAK, it's all updated.

I think I may have GPX 1.01 checked - I will make sure it is set to 1.0! Thanks!

Yes, this is happening just now as I switched from basic to premium, after buying the 450. Obviously, the benefit of paperless motivated me to upgrade, but it's been frustrating to have partial success on seeing the full .gpx detail when i go after a cache. Clearing the database may be the way to go, based on what a few of you have mentioned - thanks for the suggestion!

Thanks all for the ideas - will try that tonight and post the results! :grin:

Becareful here. There is a difference between 1.1 (referenced in GSAK) and 1.01 (referenced to PQs).

1.01 in PQs gets you attributes.

1.1 (GSAK export) is a whole other animal.