The easiest cache you haven't found?

There's a 1/1 cache within a mile of my house, with attributes "takes less than an hour" and "stroller accessible."

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...e5-0ee3138a7729

It's in a high muggle area and has been replaced 3 times. 75 finds and 17 DNFs Last time anyone found it was Oct 18, 2009. In the interim it was archived for a while; replaced/re-activated over a month ago but nobody has found it yet. Cache owner says she checked a few days ago and it's fine.

Still has me stumped. More than one person has comment this is especially difficult for a 1/1.

Got any like this that are beating you?

Edited by lee_rimar

There's a 1/1 cache within a mile of my house, with attributes "takes less than an hour" and "stroller accessible."

It's in a high muggle area and has been replaced 3 times. 75 finds and 17 DNFs Last time anyone found it was Oct 18, 2009. In the interim it was archived for a while; replaced/re-activated over a month ago but nobody has found it yet. Cache says she checked a few days ago and it's fine.

Still has me stumped. More than one person has comment this is especially difficult for a 1/1.

That cache is a liars cache. It's not a 1/1

I looked for it for 20 minutes and didn't find it. I assumed it was gone.

It's one of those caches I don't care if I ever find. Either the coords are way off or it's a lot harder than a "1" difficulty.

Bittsen, I've thought the "L" word a few times but been careful not to say it. I did post a NM a few days back suggesting the hider was having a giggle at our expense, for any of the reasons you mentioned (not a 1/1, not really there, etc). I'm kinda pleased to hear a more experienced cacher echo the thought rather than just telling me how what a poor cacher I must be.

How about joining me for coffee at the cafe across the street some morning, and then tear the plaza apart for an hour or so afterwards just to prove the point? Betcha we could make a party of it with a handful of other locals.

Edited by lee_rimar

I have checked in and around "the flower pot." However, it's made of bricks and concrete and is 5 metres in diameter, so checking UNDER it could require a jackhammer. It's also between 4-5 metres away from the posted coordinates, but this COULD be an example of soft coords.

But my original purpose of this thread wasn't to obsess over this particular cache -- more to hear about other similar caches were stumping folks.

Edited by lee_rimar

Yeah, there's a 1.5/1 a few miles from me that is about to be put on the ignore list so I don't have to keep looking at it on my list of not founds. It's driving me crazy!!

I've been there three times on my own, spent anywhere from 15 minutes to 1/2 hour each time. Three of us went out together because we'd each logged a DNF on it. We spent almost 45 minutes before we all looked at each other and gave up in disgust.

And it's been found since we were all there by someone who's log read 'easy find'...aggghhhhh!!

I'm sure, if and when I ever actually find it, that I'm going to be smacking my head and groaning.

It's in a high muggle area and has been replaced 3 times. 75 finds and 17 DNFs Last time anyone found it was Oct 18, 2009. In the interim it was archived for a while; replaced/re-activated over a month ago but nobody has found it yet. Cache says she checked a few days ago and it's fine.

It's one of those caches I don't care if I ever find. Either the coords are way off or it's a lot harder than a "1" difficulty.

Where's your DNF log? :)

I have to agree with you, though... at the very least, he's lying about the difficulty rating. He keeps checking up on it and assuring everyone that its OK, but then they just keep on DNF'ing it. That isn't a 1 difficulty. No way, no how.

Where's your DNF log? :)

I have to agree with you, though... at the very least, he's lying about the difficulty rating. He keeps checking up on it and assuring everyone that its OK, but then they just keep on DNF'ing it. That isn't a 1 difficulty. No way, no how.

I really thought I had posted a DNF on that cache.

Oh well...

How about joining me for coffee at the cafe across the street some morning, and then tear the plaza apart for an hour or so afterwards just to prove the point? Betcha we could make a party of it with a handful of other locals.

It wouldn't be the first time someone has done this. Check out the logs for the Shelter II cache in Indianapolis (a legitimately rated 4.5 star difficulty cache). Not only has there been some large group searches for the cache but the cache description has links to two different videos that were made during group searches.

Bittsen, I still agree with your original assessment and came paper-close to calling BS in the log. It was NOT on that spot -- or any of the adjacent metal surface -- when I was there two weeks ago. I really believe someone is removing and replacing it more often than the CO admits to or knows about.

Did you log your find?

Bittsen, I still agree with your original assessment and came paper-close to calling BS in the log. It was NOT on that spot -- or any of the adjacent metal surface -- when I was there two weeks ago. I really believe someone is removing and replacing it more often than the CO admits to or knows about.

Did you log your find?

Oh yeah, I should log my finds, huh?

I'm a couple weeks behind on that.

I know the cache wasn't there when I looked the first time. I ran my hands all over that thing looking for it. Yesterday it was like a beacon.

I'm a newbie, and my DNFs include:

1.5/1.5 (later archived with mine being the last of several DNF's)

2 / 1.5 (another DNF after mine)

2 / 3 (no logs after mine yet)

3 / 2 (no logs after mine yet)

1.5 / 1.5 (no logs after mine, and the DH and I added to a previous DNF)

1.5 / 1.5 (no logs after mine, and the DH and I added to a previous DNF)

1.5 / 1 (no logs after mine)

2.5 / 2 (no logs after mine)

1.5 / 1.5 (no logs after mine)

So...I've had some "easy" DNF's, but at this point none of them have been subsequently found by others. While there are a couple of the harder ones--the 2/3 and the 3/2 especially, that I think are there and we truly didn't find despite our best efforts, for the others, I highly suspect the cache wasn't there. Would love to be proven wrong, though, so I can go back and look again! :lol:

It would make me annoyed if there was a situation like the OP's, where a cache really, truly *wasn't* there, and then it *was,* without a note from the CO. And how can a nano be considered a "1" in any case? Was it not camo'ed at all? (Don't mean that in a smart-alecky way; I'm just curious!)

Interesting topic--thanks!

--Q

There's a difficulty 1 trading cache near the parking for a chunk of state forest that I DNFed. For a long while, mine was the only DNF, I now see another cacher has joined me in not finding it.

Lots of "thanks for the easy one to start the day" type logs. What can I say? I probably won't get back there any time soon. It was 6 years from my first visit to my return and the DNF of this cache. If it's still there in 6 years, I can make another attempt. :lol:

Edited by Isonzo Karst

GC18AHB in Frederick MD is 1.5/1.5, carrying about a 17% DNF rate, but it's there. Somewhere. I've been to the site no less than 5 times, spending a minimum of 1/2 hour each time, avoiding lots of different muggle traffic, and can not locate what many call an easy find. Many newbies have found it, while some of the local experienced mentors have not. It's quickly working it's way to my blacklist, but I am still determined to find that sucker one day.