Making our own Cache to hide.

yourpc1596

We are preparing to place (hopefully) a few caches on our honeymoon.

We are looking to find the kinds of things we should put in there. Here

are some questions I have:

What is the best container to use?

Where do you get those little baggies to put your log into?

What is the best thing to leave for a FTF?

How do we get a new Travel Bug or GC to start out?

Any suggestions you can give me and any tips are greatly appreciated and needed! :)

~YourPC1596

Are you Honeymooning near to home?

Vacation caches aren't allowed.

You need to be able to get to the cache to carry out maintenance.

Yes, we will be celebrating 15 year anniversary and wanted to hide a cache in honor of that. We would be within 50 miles of home. We Geocache every weekend and usually go further than that.

Happy Anniversary! Hope you have a great trip and good luck with your first cache. I will do my best to answer your questions...

1) The best containers to use are ammo cans or lock n lock containers.

2) I get the baggies at Walmart in the crafts section. You can also find them at Michaels or Hobby Lobby.

3) There is no need to leave a FTF prize. If you want to though, cash is always a good find! Also gift cards to

a coffee shop or such place.

4) You can order TB's from Groundspeak (Click the "Shop for Gear" link on the left side of the GC.com pages.

Hope this helps, I am sure you will be getting many more opinions soon!

One common container is a "lock-n-lock", which has a watertight seal, and latches on each side of the lid, like this. Some are better than others for durability of the latches, so you might pick up a couple for when the first one eventually breaks. Use the transparent kind, and you could hide it in a hole in a tree or set a piece of bark on it in a wooded area, and you're done. It's a very easy container to set up, and it makes you look like you really know what you're doing :lol:. I love to find those kind, since the contents are almost always dry.

You won't need ziplocks if you use a lock-n-lock. :)

The FTF likes that clean log to sign. But for my newest cache, I left a little FTF certificate I printed up. If you like to make something unique (some kind of inexpensive craft), sign that and place it as a FTF prize.

You can buy Travel Bug dogtags at the GC shop, or google "Buy Travel Bug".

Edited by kunarion

Ammo boxes. Second best, Lock n Locks. Here is an absolutely awesome article on the subject :)

Craft stores. Online at specialty plastic bag wholesalers

A blank logbook

Geocoins can be found Ebay, or bought or traded for over in the geocoin forum. TBs can be bought here

Also before even considering placing a cache read the guidelines. After you've skimmed them, read them again slowly.

Also here is a wiki how I wrote that might be helpful for ya.

Edited by briansnat

Besides craft stores, Walgreens carries little 3 x 2 inch zip-locks. They're called pill pouches, in the pharmacy section. They are heavier weight than the craft store bags I've seen. Freezer storage bags work for larger sizes.

JC Penny and Meiers carry the lock & lock brand plastic boxes. I've heard Asian grocery stores also carry them. Some of the clones are OK, some are junk.