Swag Vs Signature Items

Yes I am a newbie so bare with me (and yes I used the search feature but i still have questions ;-)).

So I have found 8 caches so far and I have seen both Swag and Signature items and would like some clarification.

My understanding was to trade a swag for a swag.

Do players trade a swag for a signature item?

Are we allowed to trade for the signature items or are they meant for the owner of the cache?

Do players who leave signature items also leave a swag item?

So if you like both a signature item and a swag item, can you trade for two items or is the general rule just one per player?

I keep seeing lots of business cards. Do players who leave cards count that as their swag or are they just leaving something extra?

Thank you for your help!!!

Signiture items are generally intended as swag but most of it has very little in the way of value and so gets left for the owner to clean out at some point. I like to collect sig items but I really don't need 50 of them left in my caches over a week of local caching.

I trade up or trade even for other items left in a cache generally but will leave a swag item if I take some piece of sig swag as well.

Thank you so much for asking this question!! I was going to ask it myself, but you laid it out way better than I would have.

I spent last night looking at a thread (spanning several years) of different SIG items that people have. I'm so inspired - can't wait to create our own. I'm can't wait to find my first SIG item! I will be glad to know the proper etiquette when I do.

Most anything left in a cache, outside of Travel Bugs and geocoins, is intended or considered to be SWAG.

Many types of sig items are collected by cachers. Each has their preference of type.

You may trade out as much or as little as you like (or nothing at all), just remember to trade up or even.

"Business" cards are kind of up in the air. I find they sit in a cache for months or years on end, ultimately just being cache clutter. Being paper, they have a tendency to soak humidity, eventually becoming moldy and/or mush.

Those leaving sig items, may or may not also trade SWAG. Again, it's a personal preference.

Hope this clarifies some of it. :)

Thank you so much for asking this question!! I was going to ask it myself, but you laid it out way better than I would have.

I spent last night looking at a thread (spanning several years) of different SIG items that people have. I'm so inspired - can't wait to create our own. I'm can't wait to find my first SIG item! I will be glad to know the proper etiquette when I do.

Yes me too, I've been reading the forum nonstop for the last day, love all the pics, just started Geocaching on Saturday and am already addicted. . I didn't realize there would be signature items but have found 2 wooden nickels so far. I love them, much better then a plastic toy for me. But after I traded for them, I started second guessing myself on whether I am suppose to leave them for the owner of the cache or not.

I am debating on whether to do a wooden nickel or dog tag, both are neat but I think I am liking the classic style of the wooden nickel. But then I read that signature items are regional so maybe I should leave a signature item and a swag since not everyone likes sig items? I think I am totally over-thinking the whole game, LOL.

Most anything left in a cache, outside of Travel Bugs and geocoins, is intended or considered to be SWAG.

Many types of sig items are collected by cachers. Each has their preference of type.

You may trade out as much or as little as you like (or nothing at all), just remember to trade up or even.

"Business" cards are kind of up in the air. I find they sit in a cache for months or years on end, ultimately just being cache clutter. Being paper, they have a tendency to soak humidity, eventually becoming moldy and/or mush.

Those leaving sig items, may or may not also trade SWAG. Again, it's a personal preference.

Hope this clarifies some of it. :)

Thank you so much. Your post totally clears up my confusion.

But after I traded for them, I started second guessing myself on whether I am suppose to leave them for the owner of the cache or not.

You really can't go wrong with trading as long as you're leaving something of equal or better value; even if you didn't really need to trade for it. :)

I feel good. I have totally traded up so far. I have been putting in a Disney Pin and taking 1 swag or 1 sig item. I also started putting my Disney pins in a ziploc baggie in case the cache does get wet the pin won't rust.