Oregon 450

Withycombe Wanderers

Hi there.

I have just bought the oragon 450 as an improvement to my extrex and to aid paperless caching. I have found out that you cannot delete unwanted caches or found caches from the unit itself. I have discovered how to download the field notes onto geocaching.com and can clear the field note list. However my problem is that after doing all this I find the unwanted and found caches are still on the unit itself and i'm sure this will fill up quickly. Please can anyone help? All i want to do is delete files from the unit :laughing:

you have to go by GPX files: if you copied the caches onto the unit one by one (i.e. one GPX per cache, which is what the "send to GPS" button does), just delete the respective GPX file on the unit and the cache will disappear. if you got the caches through a PQ, just generate a new PQ which doesn't include the unwanted caches and overwrite the old GPX files on the unit. all this happens in the \Garmin\GPX\ directory.

All i want to do is delete files from the unit

What dfx said. It's most convenient to send everything in batches, as Pocket Query GPX files to overwrite the old ones, or delete and change them. This refreshes all the info, updating logs, and adding any new caches.

If I do a new PQ of an area to search, I often leave the "found" ones in the list. I may return and do a Travel Bug, or need the distance from another cache when scoping out a possible cache hide. Your mileage may vary.

Do you like the Oregon compared to your etrex. I am going to replace my venture with the oregon but am waiting for it to arrive. What do you think?

I bought a 550 a few months ago to replace my eTrex Legend HCx and I LOVE it. Best GPS ever (for me anyway) :)

Do you like the Oregon compared to your etrex. I am going to replace my venture with the oregon but am waiting for it to arrive. What do you think?

Yes I love my Oregon. Use Lithium batteries as the best of the rest fails very quickly. Apart from this one problem of deleting found caches which i will master eventualy it is user friendly, we were lucky enough to buy it now while it has the whole of the UK OS maps included in the price. Also logging finds is a much easier and quicker process now.