Gsak Problem

I have just tried to down load 9 waypoints to my eTrex Vista HCx, when I checked only 7 had been transfered. I tried it several times, all with the same result. I then tried sending just the 2, still nothing. I then tried the 2 that had not been transfered directly from GC. Guess what, I was told they had been downloaded but still I had nothing.

All the waypoints I was working with on Gsak had been produced from a pocket query today.

Does anyone have any ideas or is it just another problem with the GC upgraded pages.

The two caches involved are GC249QD & GC23FAQ maybe someone else could run a test a see if they get the same problem.

Regards

Peter

Edited by Waspbuster

It may be that the code gets truncated to 6 characters, dropping the final charater, resulting in these 2 codes being overwritten.

When you click on GPS>Send Waypoints... , check that the 'Maximum Characters' box is set to at least 7, or else in the box above enter '%drop2' so you don't send the GC part of the code. From memory these 2 boxes are initially set to 6 and %code.

Its not a distance issue is it? not sure about your gps but depending on how I have mine set up it only shows close caches( and looking at those two caches looks like there far away from each other). Can you search by name?

I think the distance is 50 miles. If it's more than that and you 'search by distance' it won't show.

Its not a distance issue is it? not sure about your gps but depending on how I have mine set up it only shows close caches( and looking at those two caches looks like there far away from each other). Can you search by name?

I tried to search by name and search by distance, with no luck.

But I then found that they had been put into GPS as Waypoints. If I searched by name under Waypoints they were there and they were on the map as well. Others had been placed as Geocaches.

Why should this be?

Of course when I got to one of the caches in question this morning, namely GC249QD, I clicked as found. Then find next, low and behold, the next was the same one. This happened several times, probably the number of times I had tried to download it to the GPS before I finally put it in manually!

Regards

Peter

Edited by Waspbuster

Hello There Waspbuster,

The reason the way-points are doubling up is because you haven't deleted what's alreaddy in there.

Your caches are way-points that are categorised as Geocaches. The 60csx can hold up to 1000 way-points at any one time. If you put the same way-points in time after time you'll eventually get to the 1000. You can't put any more in unless you delete what's already in there and then start again.

There's a section in the manual (page 72),on Geocache setup, "To access the Geocache setup page: On the Setup Menu Page, highlight the Geocache icon, and press ENTER.

Regards

Bernard

Hello There Waspbuster,

The reason the way-points are doubling up is because you haven't deleted what's alreaddy in there.

Your caches are way-points that are categorised as Geocaches. The 60csx can hold up to 1000 way-points at any one time. If you put the same way-points in time after time you'll eventually get to the 1000. You can't put any more in unless you delete what's already in there and then start again.

There's a section in the manual (page 72),on Geocache setup, "To access the Geocache setup page: On the Setup Menu Page, highlight the Geocache icon, and press ENTER.

Regards

Bernard

Hi Bernard,

I had cleared everything off my eTrex Vista HCx. The point was that I had downloaded 9 caches to it. When I looked for them there were only 7. The two that were missing I tried a few times to add but still nothing, I then manually added them.

It was only when I looked for one of them I found there was several references to it. I did not have time to search for the other one. It was only when I got home I found that they had been put into wayponits and not geocaches as the others had. So why were they added to waypoints but they both had the geocache symbol?

Regards

Peter

Not sure about the Vista HCx. (Haven't used one)

But GSAK has the ability to send caches as Geocaches or Waypoints...

Have your settings changed?

Have the settings changed on you GPS ie from Geocaching mode?

The problem was the same whether I sent it from Gsak or individually from GC. The GPX file had been produced the same day BY find caches along a route. from Hersham to Derby. The 2 in question were in Derby.

The only difference I have noticed on on GPs is if I have used a different symbol to mark somethingi.e. a flag if I put something in againg it stays as a flag.